Chapter 5

Ana María's P.O.V.

We all enjoyed the food in a circle around a campfire. It had been cooked to perfection and various people had already thanked Javier for his skills with the barbeque. “And I did it no thanks to any of you.” He reprimanded because no one had helped him in the end. We all laughed and talked about various things, some serious, some recreational but had a great time.

The greatest thing in the world is to see different cultures mix together. See them talk and interact, try to communicate and make the others understand their customs and beliefs. As everyone picked up their stuff, I put my backpack on because I basically hadn’t unpacked anything. As I saw Sergi, who had insisted that I not help him, put away his things, I considered whether it was time to make a move and kiss him.

The bonfire had been turned off but out of the corner of my eyes, even in the darkness, I saw Janina making a move on Gómez. She kissed him and he responded. On the other side, Bañuz wrapped his arm around Carlota and kissed her sweetly. She placed her hand gently on his arm and smiled into the kiss. It seemed as though the whole world was saying: JUST KISS HIM! After all, these other two couples had just met when me and Sergi had been texting for days now and I really liked him.

But when he finally approached me to say goodnight, I couldn’t find it in me to kiss him. He pulled me into a hug and I wrapped my arms around his neck, standing on tip-toe. “Good night, beautiful.” He said into my hair. I felt myself turning into goo in his arms. He separated my body from his and looked into my eyes. For a second, I thought he would make the move. He leaned in but kissed me on the side of my mouth. I was frozen on the spot as he disappeared into the darkness, smiling at me.

That simple kiss had gotten me through the week and we’d been texting every day. It was his turn to text me and I didn’t want to seem needy so I waited until he did. Finally at five in the afternoon, coming out of my last class, my screen lit up with his name and so did my face. I opened it and it read: “Hey! I was thinking we could all go bowling tomorrow. Do you like bowling?” After waiting a few minutes, I responded: “Sure! I love it! I’ll tell everyone.” Any other person would’ve probably been disappointed that he hadn’t asked me on a proper date yet but I wasn’t. I get really nervous about these things and the more time I have with the person in a group, the better.

We were already on round 3 as it was Denis’ turn to bowl. Only Janina, Tomâs, Miguel, Denis, Sergi, Carlota and I made up the group this time. No one else was able to make it. The guys had picked us all up from the house in Denis’ SUV. Janina was a little sad that Sergi wasn’t there but she put on a happy face for everyone else’s sake.

We laughed as Denis’ ball went into the gutter. Sergi’s arm around my shoulders, I didn’t want to stand up and bowl. He squeezed my shoulder and stroked it with his thumb occasionally. I looked at him and smiled every time he did. There was a certain tension that the kiss could come at any moment. And I didn’t want it to. I wanted it to be special. A moment where no one could see us and ruin it. Thankfully, it was his turn to bowl so he stood up, leaving me with my thoughts.  

Carlota’s P.O.V.  

Ana María was way too busy with Samper to pay any attention to me and I didn’t blame her. He was way cuter in person and so sweet to her. But if she’s been paying attention, she would’ve noticed my face. Bañuz had his arm around me, as did Sergi around Ana María, but in a way that was making me nauseous. He was crushing me against him and I didn’t like it at all. He’d kissed me like three times already and anyone would think that’s a good thing but not me. I don’t like guys that are clingy. I never thought Bañuz would be like this and I was growing tired of it.  

Ana María’s P.O.V.  

We ate some pizza while Miguel basked in the glory of having won. He pulled Carlota to him and kept his arm around her. If my sixth sense didn’t fail me, she wasn’t liking this. I shrugged it off because, after all, it was Bañuz and followed the conversation.

The guys dropped us off at our house and I was the one to exit the van last so Sergi helped me down. I considered not taking his hand because I thought it’d make things worse but decided not to be rude. I grabbed his hand which, as I predicted, ended up being worse than doing it on my own. I crashed against his body as I tripped and wanted to die from embarrassment. “Sorry. I’m sorry.” I said as I separated from him.

He took my hands in his as I walked backwards toward the house. “Stop apologizing. It was an accident. I saw you twist your ankle a little. Are you ok?” He let go of my hands so I could touch it. I hurt a little but I put on a brave face after grimacing toward the ground. “It’s fine. Good night.” I said as I closed the gap between us, placed my hand on his cheek and kissed the other one. He half-smiled and waved as I turned my back to him and started walking toward the house.

Close to the third step, I twisted my ankle again and stumbled. My ankles are very weak due to a not-so-distant ballet past. He was there to catch me before I fell on the ground. “You are not fine. Let me take you upstairs.” He said as he made a move to carry me. “No, no. Mrs. Soler does not let anyone that isn’t staying here come in.” I said as he stopped cold and frowned at me. “What? I just want to take you to your room.”

Tomâs came to my rescue and wrapped his arm around my waist, pulling me away from Sergi. “I’ll take her. She’s really strict, man. I’m telling you. Mrs. Soler will kick her out.” Sergi looked at me with a worried face and I smiled at him encouragingly. “Don’t worry. I’ll make sure she’s ok.” “Thanks.” He said softly. “Call me if anything goes wrong. Good night.” He said as he only dared caress my cheek sweetly in Tomâs presence. “It’s just a sprained ankle, Sergi. I’ll live. Don’t worry about me.”

“Take care of her, Tomâs. I’ll drop by the University tomorrow. No arguing.” He stopped me after I took in a breath to argue. “Fine. See you.” I said as he smiled and disappeared into the van. Tomâs helped me up the stairs and into my room. I took a shower very carefully and when I got out, wrapped a sports bandage around my sprained ankle. I put on my pajama shorts and a sports-bra as I sat on the bed to go over some reading for Literature class.

I thought I heard a noise coming from the fire escape. There was a lot of noise coming from inside the house so I figured I’d confused them. I shrugged it off and kept reading. Shortly thereafter, my phone rang. It was Sergi. I smiled and rolled my eyes. He probably just wants to know if I died coming up the stairs. “Sergi, leave me alone. It’s just a sprained ankle. I’ll live.” “Too late for that.” I heard a knock coming from the window and covered my mouth. I hung up on him and ran to open the curtains. There he was, half-smiling and looking guilty.