Chapter 11

Ana María's P.O.V.

I woke up and, with my eyes closed, felt my fingers tighten around a pillow. I opened my eyes abruptly and my head was resting on another pillow. I smiled as I realized Sergi had left for training and put this pillow in his place. On it, my iPhone. I took it and when I unlocked it, the Notes app was open. “Left for training. Don’t get up from this bed without texting me. I love you.”

He didn’t need to sign. The last part still got to me. He loved me. It’s hard to believe that, after going through life without ever being reciprocated while passionately in love with a person, that someone might actually love you back. “You’ll get an ulcer from worrying so much. I’m perfectly fine. Did you sleep against that headboard all night? (PS I love you, too)” I pretended like I didn’t like him worrying so much about me but I did. I’ve always been a hopeless romantic and he was sent from the Heavens especially for me.

I got ready to take the train to the University. I took my phone and my backpack, leaving the room and assuming he’d answer when he was done with training… I went out of my last class and slipped my headphones on like I always do. I looked down as I chose the music, looking up occasionally so as to not bump against all the people that formed the buzz in the hallway. Suddenly, I had to do a double-take because…Sergi was looking out the window in the hallway.

I smiled and made my way to him. I covered his eyes with my hands and said: “Guess who?” “The girl who will give me an ulcer.” I laughed and uncovered his eyes. He turned around wrapped his arms around me. “I will not get an ulcer, I slept on the couch beside the windowsill and…” he bent down and kissed me sweetly. “I love you more.” I smiled and slipped my hands behind his neck, pulling him to me and kissing him again.

“What are you doing here? I told you I was fine.” I said as I took his hand in mine and we walked toward the metro station. “I was going to invite you to the Champions League game with me. I have front row.” I knew it was Barça against Bayern and, even though I’m a Madridista, I’m mostly a lover of the sport and this will be an excellent game. I smiled at him and he added: “Carlota can tag along if she wants. I have an extra ticket.” I knew my best friend would be ecstatic for front row at the Nou. She was already at the house because her classes were done and I couldn’t wait to get there and surprise her with this.  

Carlota’s P.O.V.  

Marc had gotten my phone number from Samper and we’d been texting since the day after we met. We’ve mostly talked about football and sometimes we share a few things of our personal lives but nothing serious. Or at least, nothing I'd care to admit.

The game was extremely important today. I had texted him “Good luck” but he never replied. I knew it was a serious game because the Champions League is a thing in itself. It gets pretty intense. I forgave him mentally as I heard a knock on my door.

“Yeah?” Ana María came in with a huge smile on her face. “What is it?” I braced myself for another sappy, Sergi-related story but she approached me with her hands behind her back, her lips pressed together. “Ana, you’re scaring me.” She produced from behind her a ticket and presented it to me: “UEFA Champions League. Quarter-Final. FC Barcelona-FC Bayern München. Camp Nou. Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain.”

I covered my mouth and tears started forming in my eyes as I took it from her. “You’re coming with us.” She said, leaving me with my emotions. “Oh my God, oh my God. The Nou. I can’t believe this is happening. I’m sorry, Ana, but I’ll be kissing Sergi for this.” I laughed and so did she. We began getting ready and I decided on a nice top and a short skirt. I wore my high-heels and left my short, curly hair loose on my shoulders. I checked myself in the mirror and thought I looked good enough to see Marc Bartra in person again, even if it was from afar.  

Ana María’s P.O.V.  

Her face was priceless and I was glad my boyfriend was able to do this for her. I decided on a  short white dress with a thin belt around the waist and some platform shoes. I left my long, curly hair loose and swept it to the side. I needed to look presentable if the first team, Sergi’s idols, would see me as his girlfriend. As I spruced myself up, I realized the actual words had never been spoken. He’s never asked me to be his official girlfriend but it was pretty much inferred that I was.

I applied the essential liquid liner (can’t live without that thing) and went a little bold with cherry red lipstick. We made our way downstairs and Sergi’s jaw dropped when he saw me. He wasn’t used to seeing me dressed up like this. “You think it’s too nice for this? Do I look ridiculous?” I frowned as I lifted my skirt. He took my hand and spun me around so he could look at me carefully. “You look way too good to be my girlfriend.” I rolled my eyes as he led us to the cab that was waiting to take us all to the Nou for one of the most exciting football matches today’s football can see…

The game did not disappoint. I was sitting between them and they got up every time any of the teams was close to scoring. They cursed, they cheered, they screamed, they pulled on their hairs... It was a great match but I was looking at it from a relatively unbiased perspective so I looked on and stayed in my chair.

Pedro found a pass from Iniesta around the seventieth minute and Barça was up front. I can’t say I didn’t enjoy Neuer’s embarrassment when he threw his body in the opposite direction of Pedro’s strike. They stood up and high-fived each other. I stayed on my chair once again and only clapped. Sergi took my face in his hands and kissed me deeply…

At the eighty-seventh minute, the unimaginable happened. Xavi Hernández took the corner and somehow, Bartra’s head found the ball and it slipped in the upper-left corner of Neuer’s goal; humanly unreachable. Even I got up from my chair as we cheered and the stadium roared. I looked directly at Carlota who had both her hands covering her mouth and was crying.

I smiled and shook my head before wrapping my arms around her and saying in her ear over the noise: “Your boyfriend’s unbelievable.” She separated from me and pushed on my shoulder. “Stop it. He is not my boyfriend.” She dried her tears as we both laughed. Sergi spun me around to face him and lifted my body from the ground. “Visca el Barça!” he screamed right before pressing his lips against mine. I held on to him and said in his ear: “Congratulations.” We separated to watch the players pile over Bartra.  

Carlota’s P.O.V.  

Just when I thought this couldn’t get any better, he scored. My Bartra scored. And it was even better now because I actually knew him. And I liked him. Way more than I was willing to admit because I thought there was no point. Bartra would never give me the time of day. Not even that could get me down as the final whistle blew and the whole stadium erupted in a roar of pure ecstasy.

We all hugged and applauded the players as they applauded the stands. I noticed Bartra hadn’t given his shirt away or exchanged it with a Bayern player. He left our side of the stands for last and, when the rest of the players were still applauding on the pitch, he ran toward us. My heart raced as I tried to eradicate the idea that he was looking right at me. As he got closer, he removed his shirt. I restrained from gawking at his perfectly toned body as the guards stopped him. He explained something and jumped over the security barrier.

He didn’t take his eyes off me and as he approached the stands, I noticed he was tall enough to be level with me. He gave me the shirt with one hand and I was catatonic. What came after that is still more unbelievable, though. He took my face in his hands and pulled me into the sweetest kiss I have ever been given. He separated from me and my eyes were wide open, looking into his which only demonstrated pure elation. “From now on, you’ll be my good luck charm.”

He winked at me before climbing back down and running toward the tunnel without his shirt, which I had in my hand. I looked around and, thankfully, everyone was too busy celebrating to notice us. I turned around to face Ana María, who had Sergi’s arms wrapped around her from behind, and her jaw was hanging open. “Ok, that did not just happen.” Was the only thing she could say. I pressed the shirt close to my chest and thought I had trouble believing it myself.