Losing A Piece Of Pride

You are told when you're little that nightmares aren't real and that the monsters hiding under your bed are all figments of your imagination. In most cases that's true. But waking up this morning felt like waking up with a monster clawing at my heart.

The monster under my bed didn't have sharp teeth or meaty claws, but instead it's name was death and he captured my grandma in the night.

I knew that eventually I would have to let go. I would have to let go of her sweet smell and her curly white locks. I would have to say goodbye forever. But when humans start thinking like this, they stop themselves before they can plan out how they really would deal with it. And then after it happens, you realize that it was impossible to have a plan in the first place.

Because losing someone who means everything to you, is like losing a piece of yourself. You'd lose the plan before you could even blink.

Blink...

Blink...

Blink...

And you're starring at a casket with full remorse.

You wonder what you could have done, how you could have made the life of the deceased better. You start feeling guilty for all the times you said no or screamed. You feel bad for all the moments you didn't spend with her...

That's what my life tastes like right now: pure sorrow.

Surrounded by all the unfamiliar faces, thinking about how great it would be to just disappear in this moment. To fly away.

But I'm stuck. cornered by the overflowing emotions of everyone in the room.

--

I'm standing in the corner, waiting on the next stranger to give me a hug, tell me they are sorry for my loss, and then book it to another face in the room.

My dress in starting to itch with the sweat of all the bodies it's been exposed too. I take a swig of my bottle of water and scoot to the floor.

Grandma would have told me that this wasn't "ladylike" but honestly, I couldn't find it in myself to stand up.

"Pride Meyers," I heard a deeper voice say above me.

Looking up, I smile, "Mort."

I stand, flattening my dress out as any female would, and go in for the hug Mort has already set up for me.

Mort was a big man, so it felt like I was hugging a bear.

"Little darlin', I'm sorry about your gradmama. She sure was a good ole' soul and I'm glad I got to know her," he said pushing his hands in his pockets.

I grinned, "Yeah. She loved having you over for dinner," I said, remembering the night grandma told me Mort looked sexy in his blue blazer.

Mort was my grandmothers neighborhood best friend from back when. He was a main character in most of the stories she told me and she was madly in love with him. But he married before she had a chance to jump at him.

Mort looked good for his age, like he had half a bucket list to get to before he said goodbye.

"What a sweet lady she was, huh? Well, how you holdin' up?" he asked, placing his hand on my shoulder.

I shrug, "I'm alright."

He smiled for my sake and gave me one last hug, "If you ever need anything sweet-pea, you call me okay? Here's my number, keep it safe."

After handing me his business card, Mort was off. Finding friends he hadn't seen since high school and all.

I went back to my corner quietly.

Twiddling the card between my fingers, I waited for the service to begin.

------------------

Here is the first chapter of my second Rhett & Link fan fiction, "Adopting Pride"

I am so super exited to write this story because I've always wanted to write one relating to this topic.

Now, you're all probably wondering where Rhett & Link are, well, don't stop reading because we meet Rhett in the next chapter! Yay!

So stay tuned please! I really will try to make this the best I can.

Looking forward to it!

I love you guys!

Always remember to be your mythical best! xoxo

- Robin