Home Is Where The Cookies Are

There was something surreal about getting into the truck, buckling up, and riding away with Rhett. 

It felt like a movie. No, I'm not Annie, but that's what it felt like. Minus the curly red hair, Mrs. Hannigan, and the 1930's setting, obviously.

It felt great to know that I was going to be someone to somebody. He came back for me. He wanted me. 

Don't get me wrong. I'm nervous. I've still got a lot of ground to break with Rhett. I barely know him. He's just an old friend who cares. And I'm a growing teenage girl who still doesn't know how to socially communicate with the world.

But in all honesty, there is nowhere I'd rather be right now. I was happy.

"So, what was it like?" Rhett broke the silence as he turned onto the intersection.

I shrugged my shoulders, "At first, the most exciting moment of my day was when the cafeteria served tater-tots that weren't burnt. But after a few days, I made friends with one of the girls in my room."

He glanced at me quickly, the n turned his eyes back to the road, "Oh, really? Tell me about her."

"Her name is Melanie. She was put in after her parents both died from overdose."

He sighed, "Poor girl. She must be crushed."

"I don't think she needs to be. Honestly, she's better off in the home anyway. They were abusive."

Rhett pulled onto a nice suburban street, and slowed down. Was this our street?

"Oh, well...in that case..."

I watched the houses roll by. Each one was painted with a fresh pastel blue or a cloudy white. All the houses were sporting big oak doors and black frames. Most of the house were scattered with children's outside toys and fake plants. While the others were simple with seasonal decorations. 

Halloween was coming, you could tell.

"It this..." I spoke quietly. I couldn't take my eyes of the seer  unity of it all.

"Yup. Lincoln Drive. We live at the far end of the street."

We.  

I was anxious to see the house. To see the yard and the unity. 

Not a minute later, Rhett pulled into the driveway of a very different house.

Different as in: messy, unkempt, and in total disarray. 

The grass was at least a foot high, a car was parked in the front yard with the hood, and the porch was decorated with old fast food wrappers, soda cans, and dead plants.

I glanced at Rhett as soon as the truck was in park.

"So this is home?"

He smiled, "Yup. The sweet McLaughlin residence."

He pulled his keys from the ignition and open the truck door, "I know it's messy out here, but the inside is completely different. Don't worry."

I grinned, removing myself from the truck. 

I threw my bag over my shoulders and followed Rhett to the front door.

My stomach was turning with anxiety. I wasn't sure why, but I tried to ignore it the best I could.

Once the door was open, Rhett waved me in. 

My first impression was that Rhett had a different respect for each item he owned. And it was obvious because while the kitchen wasn't so spic and span, the rest of the house was beautiful.

The walls were bare, and there wasn't much color pop, but it felt warm. It felt cozy. It felt alright.

Rhett gave me a tour of the house, apologizing for a small mess here and there. He invited me to use his laptop, guitar, and Xbox. And lastly stated that this was my home now, so I'd better live in it.

With that, he lead me to the last room of the hallway.  

He looked at me and smiled, "I didn't know what kind of things you were into, or what color scheme to go for, but I went out on a limb and tried my best."

He turned the knob, and pushed the door open.

Inside the room was a queen sized bed with a subtly white bedspread and beautiful yellow throw pillows. There was a large white dresser in the far corner of the room, with a few glass trinkets on top. On the opposite side of the room was a matching desk with a few spiral bound notebooks and pens waiting for me to break them in. Next to the bed, a small bedside table held a beautiful yellow shaded lamp and two books. A few photos of flowers were framed and hanging on the wall.

It was all so simple and incredible.

I looked at Rhett, "I'm also going to go out on a limb here and say this is my room?"

He nodded with a perky smile on his face, "Absolutely."

Without question, I hugged him. So tight I felt myself go lightheaded. 

"I take it that you like it."

"I love it, Rhett. Thank you so much...Just thank you..."

He patted my back, "Oh wait. I almost forgot!"

He pulled away and told me to follow him to the kitchen. Once there, he grabbed a plate covered in aluminum foil from the counter.

He handed it to me, "I figured that you'd still be upset about Mrs. Meyers, so I did what I felt might help you cope."

I pulled back the foil on the plate to see warm chocolate chip cookies.

"Just like our grandmas used to make."

I looked at him in shock.

"No way?"

He chuckled, "Try em'."

So I did. And he was right. 

Just like our grandma's used to make.

---------------------

FINALLY I FINISHED THIS CHAPTER. I've been struggling. I am honestly trying my hardest with this story and I had wrote the beginning of this chapter once and didn't love if so I completely went back and I thin I'm going to stick with this. It's alright.

I'm so sorry it's taken so long for me to update. I've just been in a stump.

But anyways, I hope you guys enjoy this chapter and I hope you're all doing well! 

Stay wonderful!

And always remember to be your mythical best!

- Robin