Man in the Bird Shirt

The service was about to start.

All of grandma's loved ones, all of her lifelong friends, were here, paying their respects to the woman who raised me. 

I sat on the front pew of the church. Grandma's casket was closed before me, with a bouquet of white lilies resting on top. A portrait of grandmas teenage days was standing on a golden rod next to her casket. The preacher stood at the front of the podium, glasses hanging on the bridge of his nose.

He spoke. Going on and on. It felt like time was slipping by like water, but then the preacher stopped his speech and handed the microphone over to a younger gentlemen.

The man was extremely tall, with a stack of golden brown hair resting atop his head. His eyes were slightly red, not from crying I assumed, but allergies. But the most eye catching thing about this man was not his height or his perfectly green eyes, it was in fact his shirt. 

A white collared, button up covered in small navy blue birds. He wore a pair of dark jeans along with it and a pair of high top sneakers. 

The man held a sheet of paper, which I assumed expressed words about my grandmother.

I didn't know this man, and he seemed too young to have anything to do with my grandma, but after he spoke, I realized I was wrong.

"Hello, everyone, my name is Rhett...I wanted to say a few words on behalf of not only Mrs. Meyers, but also my grandmother, who left us a while back. My grandmother was Mrs. Meyers best friend. And for a long part of my childhood, these two ladies would have tea parties that I would so graciously attend. In the years that I enjoyed these get together's with my grandmother, and Mrs. Meyers, who I consider my second grandmother, I was given a task," he spoke clearly, flipping his page to it's backside.

"I was told that I had to give a speech from the best friend. In other words, my grandma left me with words to Mrs. Meyers for when her day was to come," he sighed. The crowd erupted then. Some with tears, some with "awes", and some with complete satisfaction. I sat still, waiting to hear what was next.

"Mildred, my grandmother writes, you've finally come to join me, you old bat! I've been waiting for you. I don't know how long, but I've been waiting. Now, Rhett's supposed to read this for you when the time comes, and I trust him too. So for all of you listening, I want you to know just how privileged you all were to know Mildred Meyers. The sweetest soul I'd ever known. I'm so honored to have been your best friend while I had the chance, Millie. And I hope that when you finally decide to kick the bucket, you come find me first. Because I've got a hug and a apple pie waiting for you old lady. With love, Sue.

The audience burst into tears. Some wailed, while other gently weaped. I did neither.

Most of these people probably knew Sue as well, seeing as how she was grandma's best friend. Maybe hearing her words broke their hearts even more.

Rhett continued to speak, "Mrs. Meyers was truly a delight to have known. She will be greatly missed. I hope she meets mawmaw and gets a big slice of that apple pie. She deserves it." With that, the man folded up the sheet of paper, stuck it in his pocket and made his way back to his pew.

--

After the service, it comes time to bury the dead.

People rush to their cars, to be admitted to this long line of grief. They follow the hearse and off they go, to the cemetery.

But, I wasn't ready to attend that little party, so I stayed behind. Taking a trip to the bathroom, I did my business and washed my face. It was pale, cold, and unhappy.

After grandma's buried, I'm being sent off to live in a foster home. Where kids aren't released until someone decides they want to raise you or until you're old enough to raise yourself.

Did I want to be put in an orphanage? Of course not, but at this point, it was my only option.

My mom didn't make it long after my birth, and dad ended up losing his marbles and taking his own life. That's how I ended up with grandma. She was the only one who wanted me, the sweet woman.

I didn't have many friends, and none that had willing parents to adopt me, so it was up to me. I had to stay in a dorm with three other girls, following a routine, and being a outcast, shut in until I hit 18.

I sighed internally and grabbed my bag, throwing it over my shoulder, I left the bathroom. 

But my journey was soon cut short after walking into someone.

Looking up, I smiled, "So sorry."

He smiled down at me, "Don't mention it."

It was Rhett, the super tall, green eyed, bird shirt wearing grandson.

"I liked what you said," I chocked out. I wasn't great at speaking to strangers, but, I did what I could. "The service, I liked what you said up there."

He chuckled, "Those were all maw maw's words. But, thank you."

After a moment of mere silence, he spoke, "So, ready for the burial?"

I shrugged my shoulders, "Not really, but...in respects to grandma, it must commence."

Rhett suddenly figured it out, I think, because his eyes grew wide and he said, "Oh my goodness! Pride?"

I laughed, cautiously. I didn't know who he was. How does he know my name?

"Um, yeah. And you're Rhett, right?"

He grinned, "Yeah, that's me. Oh my god. I completely forgot."

I stared at him, "Forgot what?"

He giggled, "I forgot Mrs. Meyers had a granddaughter."

I nodded, proudly, "Uh, yeah. But I like to consider myself more as her daughter, since she raised me."

He agreed slowly, "That's right. She adopted you after her daughter, which I guess was your mom, passed."

I smiled, "That's how it happened."

Things felt awkward suddenly. It's like this stranger knew so much about me, while I knew nothing about him.

"We used to play together in the backyard, remember? We made forts and played in that sandbox your grandma had."

Then it hit me. "Oh yeah! I guess I was so young that I couldn't remember." I remembered this kid. We used to be buds. Every time his grandma came over, he would too, and we always found something fun to do. But I was so young. It had been a while.

He grinned, running his hand though his hair, "Yeah. I stopped coming by too. After I hit a certain age."

I nodded, "Yeah. I didn't realize you were so much older than me," I slightly laughed.

He held his arms out, "Hey, I'm only 21!"

I shrugged, "Whatever. Still older than me."

He smiled, looking off towards the door of the funeral home. "Oh, man. I think we've been left behind."

I looked over as well, agreeing with him, "We sure have."

-------------

Hope you guys enjoyed this chapter! You're all wonderful! Thank you so much for reading!!

Always remember to be your mythical best!!

With much love, Robin xoxo