A Rose for Grandma

The crowd was gone. The members of the funeral home began shutting doors, and moving flower bouquets to the back room of the building. The soft music was no longer playing and the television screen playing photos of my grandmother had been shut off.

Rhett looked back at me, "Need a ride?" 

A sudden instinct triggered me. I know that Rhett and I were once play mates, but that was so long ago, I had completely forgotten that he exists. He could have become a serial killer or an axe murderer. How do I just take a ride with him?

I guess he could tell that I was nervous because when he spoke again, he stepped back slightly, and said, "I'm not going to hurt you, Pride. I'm not that kind of person. I'll take you to the burial and the you can ride with whoever was supposed to have taken you there in the first place."

I shrugged, "No, no, I know you're not a bad person or anything. It's just instinct, I guess."

He grinned slightly, "Learn that from Mrs. Meyers?"

I found myself smiling back, "Of course."

He chuckled, forcing his fingers into his skinny jean pockets. He looked back at the door. No one was there, the lights were dim, and he knew it was time to go.

"I'll take you up on that ride," I said quickly, realizing that standing here wasn't getting us anywhere.

He nodded with a smile, pulling a set of keys from his pocket. 

 --

Rhett drove a rustic blue Chevy. He opened the door for me, and when he did, it sounded like the vehicle itself might fall apart. 

He waved me in and shut the door after I was buckled.  

A strong scent of coffee and wood filled my nose, making it burn. Not the best combination in the world, but not the worst either.

He got in, slamming his door, and putting the key in the ignition. His seat was pushed back farther than normal. After all,  he was taller than the average human being.

After he adjusted his seat belt, he began to drive. 

I checked my phone, while we sat in silence. According to the time, Rhett and I would be late, but not too late.

He looked over, "Whatcha doing?"

I looked up, locking my phone and putting it back in my bag. "Just checking the time."

He sighed, "How late are we?"

I grinned, "Not too late, but that all depends on how fast you drive."

He laughed then, gripping the steering wheel tighter, "I'll go fast enough, don't worry."

--

Twenty minutes later, Rhett parked his car in the back of the long line forming at Hunter Springs Cemetery. I watched as all of the elderly friends struggled to make their way up the hill. The few younger people that were here helped as much as they could, but some were on their own.

This reminded me of the day grandma came down with a 102 fever and she could barely make it to the bathroom in time. She was so weak, and it broke my heart. I fed her medicine like it was water, and she drank every last drop. 

She got better, but truly, grandma was never physically  the strongest of woman, but her heart was solid gold.

"Pride, you coming?" Rhett broke my thoughts by opening my door.

It made that horrible sound again and I couldn't help but cringe.

"Oh, um, yeah." I got out of the truck, sweat beading on my forehead. 

Rhett frowned, "Sorry, the AC doesn't work."

I had already assumed that was the case.

Rhett and I walked towards the cemetery, each of us quiet. Everything felt numb.

I was about to watch grandma be buried. I felt so lost, being honest.

I didn't want to have to live the life I was forced into when grandma took her last breath. I don't want to be an orphan and meet new people...but then again, I met Rhett. And he wasn't to bad. Actually, he made this experience less horrific, if I do say so myself.

"So, Pride," Rhett broke my train of thought, "Where are you going after all this? Where are you staying?"

He was walking with his hands in his pockets. Something I've noticed he's big on doing. 

I gripped by backpack straps tighter, pulling them into my skin, "I'm going to Saint Browns Home for Orphans. Because, I'm an orphan now."

Rhett's expression dropped slightly, his brows furrowing together, "Oh. I'm sorry."

I didn't respond. There was nothing I really needed to say. 

Yeah, I don't want to? 

Yeah, it sucks. 

Yeah, I have no one else to take me in. 

No. I wouldn't complain. That would just make this entire situation worse.

"Well, I hope you do fine there," he said, trying to sound reassuring. He failed.

--

I listened to the preacher go on with more words as I stood before my grandmothers casket for the last time. It was the purest white, with beautiful golden rim. She would have loved the colors. 

Oh grandma, I thought, I'm so sorry...

I watched as people places roses and an assortment of different flowers upon the coffin. So many people, so many people loved my grandmother. 

But not more than I did. It was impossible.

Looking down at the ground, I realized I was crying.  Tears fell slowly into the grainy dirt below.

People continued to place their single flowers upon her casket. I continued to cry, feeling the worst pain I had felt in years.

Suddenly, Rhett was at my side with a single red rose. He handed it to me, rubbing my back for reassurance. I looked up at him, knowing how horrible I looked, but I didn't care.

I took one step..

Two..

And threw the rose to my grandmother.

----------------

GUYS I'M SO STOKED FOR THE STREAMYS! I REALLY HOPE GMM WINS SHOW OF THE YEAR! IT'S ON IN 30! SO, I JUST FINISHED UP THIS CHAPTER FOR A LITTLE PRE-PARTY OR CELEBRATION AND NOW I'M GONNA SIT BACK, RELAX, AND PRAY OUR BABES WIN!

THANKS FOR READING! YOU'RE WONDERFUL!

ALWAYS REMEMBER TO BE YOUR MYTHICAL BEST!!

- ROBIN