Dreams Do Come True

I had officially been in the orphanage for a week. 

It had been three days since Melanie and I decided to start over. Since then, we've talked about our pasts and where we want to be in the future. I didn't tell her about Rhett, because I was kind of afraid that she would try and wake me up from this dream that I constantly had playing in my head.

Him coming in, adopting me. 

I know shouldn't get my hopes up, but it was hard not to.

She told me that she had always wanted to be a journalist for the newspaper. I was shocked by this. I thought she would have wanted to be a tattoo artist or a morgue owner. But that's stereotypical, so I'll learn from my mistakes.

She told me she loved writing, but she eventually lost the ambition to do anything. I knew she brought paper and pen with her. It was hidden under her pillow. Sometimes, I would catch her writing in it. But I never said anything, I never asked, because Melanie doesn't seem like the person who would care to share. So why waste my breath?

She loved movies, music, and food. Just like any normal person. She wasn't a big fan of sports or academics, but she was experienced in art.

Melanie asked me about myself, and I told her what I knew.

I didn't know what I wanted to be, I wasn't into anything but music, and I loved potatoes any way they are served. 

She laughed at that one, "The most you know about yourself is that you love potatoes?" I nodded, realizing I was kind of a sad human being.

She also told me about her friends back at school and the family who never tried to remember her name.

I began to feel bad for her, as time progressed. Not because of what she had been through, but because she truly thought that she didn't matter. She's missed out on so many things, so many great things.

Who knows how long she will be in here. She could be adopted. I highly doubt it, but it was worth the thought. Nobody was ever really adopted anymore. We all just sat here like bumps on a log, waiting until our 18th birthday hit.

Melanie and I were getting closer at least. And that I was grateful for.

--

Later that day, after lunch, Melanie and I played rummy with an old deck of cards the owner of the orphanage gave us. Melanie won most games, I coming in with only two wins. She always had the right hand, her luck high.

We were sitting in her cot, laying out cards when an older woman in pencil skirt dress appeared in the doorway. I had never met her before, but she seemed important.

"Pride Meyers, could you please follow me?" she spoke, sweetly. She sounded happy, yet surprised.

My gut twisted, a nervousness running through me. What was happening? What did I do?

I stood, laying my hand of cards on the bed, and walking towards the door. Before I stepped out, I looked back at Melanie who seemed to know what was happening. Had this happened to her before? Was I in trouble?

She tried her best to smile, for my sake, and then waved me off.

I took her command and followed the petite woman down to the office. She carried me to the back, where the owner's office was.

Walking in, I smelt the familiar scent of coffee and wood and stopped in my tracks. 

There he was.

Rhett McLaughlin. Sitting straight in the leather bound chair I sat in when I was placed in this home. He wore a bright yellow stripped shirt, with dark jeans, and a pair of sneakers. The smile on his face was bigger than Texas and I knew right then what was happening.

My dream was coming true.

Without a second thought, I ran to him, wrapping my arms around his neck, taking in that pungent smell. He was so warm, and even if I'd just been reunited with him a week ago, he felt like home. Somewhere I wanted to be.

"Rhett!" I squealed, unapologetic. He wrapped his arms around my waist, hugging me tight.

"Hey kid," he said laughed that laugh of his. 

I pulled away, tears forming in my eyes. It all felt surreal. I didn't know if I was dreaming again or if I was really about to be adopted.

"Mrs. Meyers, please sit," the owner said happily. "I see that you and Mr. McLaughlin are on a good page. Which makes me even happier to say that you have been requested for adoption."

My stomach erupt with butterflies at her words, "Really?" I looked at Rhett, this solid smile going strong.

He smiled back, "Pride, I want nothing more than for you to come stay with me."

I looked back at Mrs. Wilson, the owner, and nodded, "Yes. Absolutely."

She pushed a paper towards Rhett and I, asking us both to sign, "Rhett has taken all his evaluation tests and procedures and is now 100% capable and trusted with your adoption, Pride. I am so happy for you."

He took the pen and sighed his name. I eagerly wrote mine under his.

"Pride, you are officially a child under Mr. McLaughlin's care. I have given him any paperwork or information you might want to see but other than that, you're free to go. Grab your things from your room and I wish you the happiest of lives."

With that, I was ushered back to Room 23 where I found Melanie writing in her notebook. She looked up at me, a sad smile on her face, "Do they seem nice?"

I felt my heart break. Through all of this, I never thought once about what it would be like to leave her. How it might hurt her. She spent all that time putting her trust in me and allowing me to know her stories. And now I was leaving.

"Oh, Melanie..."

She ripped the page from her notebook, folding in half. She stood, and handed it to me. "Have a good life, Precious. You deserve it. Take this. Don't read it until you're out of here. Thank you for this week. It's been a highlight." Then she hugged me.

I felt my eyes well up with tears for the second time today, but this time it wasn't in joy but instead sadness. Who knew this would hurt so badly?

She pulled away, patted my shoulder, and then left the room. 

Melanie was alone again. And I couldn't help but feel sorry for her.

--

After gathering my things, I ran to the front doors where I was greeted by a happy man. Rhett was holding a stack of papers and his truck keys. He was still smiling, so happy.

I wanted to hug him again, but that could wait. I wanted to feel the freedom of the outside world. 

He held the door open for me and I walked out. The crisp fall air falling on me. I'd spent most of my time outdoors while I was here, but this felt different. 

It felt like I was going home.

-----------

Okay guys! I know that this is not completely how adoption works, but for this story, it's how it's gonna. I honestly can not wait for the rest of the story! Aghhh! So excited!

I really hope you guys are enjoying! Thank you all for reading! You're beautiful!

Tell me what you think down below!

And always remember to be your mythical best!

- Robin