Little Chef

"You don't have much food in your cabinets," I chimed as Rhett walked in. He was still wearing that smile.

"Oh, yeah...I don't eat here much so..." he stopped at the table and looked at our food, "This looks wonderful though! Let me go wash up and I'll be right down."

I smiled, going to the sink to finish up the last of the dishes. Once I was finished, I went to the table to wait.

I took a small bite of the beans making sure they were still acceptably warm. They were, surprisingly.

Rhett was down a minute later, wearing a solid white button up and a pair of jeans. He had showered, but hadn't messed with his hair, so it laid limp on top of his head.

It was an interesting look on him, but that was because I'd never seen his hair down before.

He smiled as he took the seat in front of me, "I'm so sorry this took so long. My boss held me over to work on his daughters car, Link always likes to keep conversation, and I was 100% sure you wouldn't like to eat with the mascot for Mobil car oil."

I giggled, taking a sip of my drink, "It's no big deal. I wasn't in any rush. Plus, you and Link seem to be friends. I wouldn't want to pull you away from that."

Rhett sat a little straighter, a gentle tension roaming his features, "Oh, yeah. We're friends..I guess...Um...So this hot dog looks amazing. I'm sorry I don't have any ketchup."

I shrugged, "It's alright. Sometimes a good hot dog is all you need."

With that, we both began to eat. He continued to tell me how good the food was, although I literally just heated it up in some pans. It wasn't that hard. But he seemed impressed. 

"It's just some beans and a hot dog," I laughed. He shook his head, "Pride, I never eat at home, well apart from cereal. It's been so long since those pans have been used. I just...I appreciate that you want to cook for me...Again, you don't have to but-"

"I want to," I interrupted him. He grinned, shoving the last bite of his beans into his mouth. I was only halfway finished, but getting there.

He stayed with me while I finished. He told me about work and what it was like to be a car mechanic. He told me he hated it, but it was his only way of paying the bills. He also told me about how he ended up with the job and all the details.

By the time his story was over, I had been finished with my food for at least fifteen minutes, but I wouldn't rush him. This was nice. I loved hearing his stories. It was the only way us living together would work.

"Well kid, here's the deal," he began, "You like cooking right? And this house is bare. So how about we go grocery shopping after we enroll you at Ridgeway. I don't know what I'm doing, but maybe you do."

I smiled wide, "Really?" There was a recipe that I felt Rhett would love. So being able to get the ingredients would be great.

He nodded, "Of course, little chef."

I cringed at the nickname, but didn't tell him.  

He stood, grabbing our plates and taking them to the sink where he washed them clean.

I went to my room to make a grocery list.

--

Around 3:30 Rhett knocked on my door. "Pride, are you ready to go?"

I looked up from my notepad and looked down at myself, "Um, five minutes?"

He agreed, telling me he would be in the car. Rushing to my closet, I threw on a pair of jeans and a flannel. Looking in my closet mirror, I brushed out my hair and put it up in a ponytail. 

I ripped out the grocery list I had wrote in my notebook. It was too long, but enough where I needed a list. Running out of my room, and through the house, I found my shoes piled by the front door. 

I didn't bother to put them on until I was in the truck. 

"Sorry, I lost track of time," I said, tying my shoes. 

"Oh don't worry about it. No harm done. What were you doing anyway?" Rhett asked, pulling out of the driveway. 

"Making a grocery list," I mumbled. 

"Oh really now?" he stopped at a red light. "What are we getting?" 

"Things. I tried to keep it on the cheaper side, so you don't have to worry about that," I smiled, sitting back in my seat.

"Oh, well thank you," he grinned, "I wish I could tell you not to worry about money, but, I'm only a mechanic"

I patted his shoulder gently, "Don't feel bad. I understand what that's like."

--

About five minutes later we reached the school. Ridgeway High. It only ten minutes away from home. I could walk if necessary. 

The mascot was a blue jay, which made the school colors blue and white. A large statue of a blue jay was rested in front of the entrance.

Rhett parked the truck, then turned to me, "You ready?"

I nodded, aware that I was about to do something I truly didn't want to do, but knew had to happen. Like I said, my life was changing.

Once we were in the school, Rhett knew exactly where to go. "The lady at the orphanage recommended this school to me. She said she worked her at one point in her life." I nodded, remembering Melanie then and the letter I never opened.

Mentally kicking myself in the face, I vowed to go home and read her letter. It was the least I could do.

"Pride," Rhett called from the office door. I caught up to him, and we went in together.

The man at the desk seemed rather sketchy, but he put on a smile and showed us to the principles office. 

"Pride McLaughlin," the woman said loudly, "I've been waiting on you."

I felt awkward in the small room with her. She was so loud and outspoken, her voice bounced in echos off the walls. She sat us down, threw a couple of papers in Rhett's direction and began talking me through classes and all of my options here at Ridgeway.

She was so quick and to the point, we were out of there before 5:00. 

I was thankful for that. 

Looking up at Rhett, I felt like I needed to give him a hug. 

He was trying so hard to be a good dad. And he was succeeding. Even if he didn't feel like he was.

"Now, shall we hit the grocery store?" he said, opening the passenger side door for me.

That horrible sound vibrated through the atmosphere, I spoke, " Absolutely."

------------

Yay! Another chapter! Hope you guys are enjoying this story! If you are, I'd like to know down in the comments! Tell me what's been your favorite part so far! 

You're amazing!

And always remember to be your mythical best! 

-Robin

(P.S. Sorry about the lack of Link currently in the story. I promise he's going to be featured more soon.)