I Got The Job

Precious, 

I've been thinking about you a lot lately. I wish you were here. Then I feel guilty because I shouldn't wish this life on you. I just want you here with me. Things are getting harder and harder. I'm struggling, Pride. I need someone to pull me away from this hole I'm digging. But no one here even notices me.

I'm invisible. Once again.

You were the only one who ever wanted something to do with my sorry ass and I'm so grateful. I wish I could be happier. I wish...

I just wish.

Miss you lots. I love you.

-Mel

This one hurt. This one made me feel guilty. This one made me sick to my stomach. 

Melanie was alone. I left her...I had too. I wouldn't trade Rhett up for staying there, but I just wish I could have brought her with me. 

I just wish too, Melanie.

----

The next morning I was woke by Rhett banging on my door. This wasn't normal at all.

Usually Rhett would tap on my door every few minutes, easing me to wake up. But now he was banging so loudly on my door, I could do nothing but stand up and walk to it.

"Good morning," I said as I opened my door. I was rubbing sleep out of my eye when Rhett threw his arms around me, "I got the job!"

I barely understood what he said, but I caught enough to wrap my arms around him. "That's great!"

He pulled away, a smile spread across his face. "I start tomorrow. So I won't be here for your study date. But I know I can trust you."

I nodded, suddenly remembering Desmond. "Of course."

Rhett looked me up and down, "Well, how about you get dressed and we go get some celebratory breakfast burritos?"

"That sounds thrilling. I'll be right out."

With that Rhett left me alone in my room. I went to my closet, pulled out a pair of jeans and a simple t-shirt. I was in no mood to dress up. 

Slipping into a pair of converse, I grabbed my backpack and my letter to Melanie from my desk, and left the house.

----

That day at lunch Gordon was reading a comic and Caroline was out sick. So it was basically just me and Des, which I had no problem with.

He was early today, already halfway through his sandwich. 

"Hello," I said, taking a seat in front of him. 

He looked up from his phone, a smile forming, "Oh, Pride. Hello!"

He's wearing a denim jacket over a flannel. His beanie is resting nicely on top of his strawberry blonde hair. Quickly pushing his phone into his pocket, he reached out for my hand.

He took it, rubbing his thumb over mine. I couldn't help but blush. I looked down at my lap, hoping to hide my flushed face. 

"So, are you excited for our 'study date'?" he said.

I nodded, afraid my voice would crack if I spoke. He smiled wider, "How has your day been?" he moved his hand.

I look up, my face still red, "It's been pretty good, actually. Rhett got the job he's been hoping for. And I didn't fail my science test."

His jaw dropped excitedly, "That's great. Where at?"

"The theater."

"Oh," he sat back, a little hesitant, "That's cool. I also work there."

He looked as if I just told him the worst news in the world. I shrugged it off. It was nothing.

"That's neat. I guess you'll get to know my dad a little better, huh?"

He mumbled a chuckle and smiled, "Yeah, sure."

-----

After school, Rhett picked me up at the curb.

He was already dressed in his date outfit and his hair looked exceptionally perfect.

"How was school?" Rhett asked as I got in the truck. 

"Good, are you ready for your hot date?"

He laughed, turning onto the road, "Absolutely. Nervous though. I won't lie."

"You have no reason to be nervous. Just be you. You've already got him to like you, so show him what he means to you."

"How exactly do I do that?"  

"How do you be yourself?"

He shrugged, "Alright, alright. I just hope I don't screw this up."

"You won't. I have faith in you."

"Thanks Pride."

"Anytime, dad. Anytime."

----------

Another chapter? I think so.

Thanks so much for reading! You guys are amazing!

Anyone else super excited for Rhett & Link's Book of Mythicality? I am so stoked.

Always be your mythical best!!

-Robin xoxo

P.S. Excuse errors, please.