Lucky

Saturday morning felt like a dream. I woke up, ate breakfast, and listened to Rhett tell me all about his date with Link. 

It was magical, he said, truly one of the best night's he had had in a while.

He told me they shared their first kiss and he even asked Link to be his boyfriend.

I was so proud of him. I was overjoyed for him. 

I could tell that morning when I first saw him that something monumental had happened last night, and now I knew.

A few hours later, he was apologizing for having to leave me. Today was his first day on the job and he wouldn't dare be late.

I waved him off, "Don't apologize, Rhett. You go make that money. I promise I'll call you if I need anything."

He smiled wide, giving me a hug and walking out the door.

--

It wasn't but two hours later when I heard that old familiar mail truck roll up outside.

I eagerly jumped up, running outside.

Link was pulling a few envelopes from his sack, when he saw me and waved.

I waved back. 

"Sorry Pride," he spoke as he made his way to me, "Doesn't seem to be any letters for you, today."

I shrugged, "That's okay. How are you?"

He laughed, handing me Rhett's mail, "Outstanding. You?"

"I'm great. I heard about last night..." I grinned, poking at Link's shoulder.

He smiled, taking a seat on the porch steps. I sat beside him.

"We had a great night, Pride. I have never felt like that. I've never had someone who cared as much as he does. I shouldn't be talking to a little girl about this stuff. You don't care, right?"

I laughed, shocked that he would think I didn't want to hear all about it, "Link, of course I care. I want to hear ALL about it!"

He chuckled, wrapping his arms around his knees, "Okay, okay. I met Rhett two years ago when I got this job. I was delivering mail, my first day on the job, and Rhett just so happened to be leaving for work when I pulled up. I would have just put it in the mailbox like I do for every other house, but Rhett had come to the mailbox to get the mail from me himself."

"When I handed it to him, he gave me a smile. One I'll never forget. He was still working as a mechanic, so he was dressed in his greasy jumpsuit. His beard was a mess, and his hair was flat, something we don't see often. He was kind of scary, but something about that smile presented him in a softer way. It was all in the smile."

"Did he speak to you?" I asked, listening intently.

"Oh yeah. I guess he knew the past mailman who delivered and he didn't recognize me. He asked me if I was new on the job and he asked for my name. He didn't say much, neither did I, but everyday he'd come up to the mailbox to receive his mail. Everyday our conversation would grow just a little. But the first day was always my favorite because of that smile. I knew the moment I laid eyes on it that he was special."

My heart was so warm.

"That's the sweetest thing I've ever heard," I said.

He smiled, nodding a little, "He's everything I've ever wanted, Pride."

"And now you have him," I said, nudging at his side.

He laughed, "Yes, I do. Yes I do."

"Rhett's a good guy," I said, looking out at the yard. "I'm sure he's told you about how he found me again?"

Link nodded, a bit of a frown on his face, "Your grandmother's funeral, right?"

I sighed, "Yeah. It was the strangest thing. I didn't recognize him. He and I used to play together all the time at our grandmas but we were little kids then. It was weird to see him again. All grown up and big. He was the only one at the funeral who really acknowledged me. He listened to me. He cared. This man who I hadn't seen since I was five years old cared about me."

Link spoke in a muffled voice, "That's Rhett."

"And he adopted me, Link. He adopted me. And not once was a afraid of him. I trusted him before I knew I could. He did that for me. I still ask myself why."

"Rhett told me that he didn't want to see you go through something like that. He just had this feeling that your were supposed to be his. So he made it happen," Link spoke towards me. 

I felt warm tears growing behind my eyes, "We're lucky, Link."

Link smiled then, noticing the tears now raining from my eyes, "Yeah, Pride. We are." 

Link pulled me in for a hug then and it felt nice. I wasn't sad, I was happy. But sometimes you just need a hug. Link understood that.

"Hey, isn't that study date of yours today?" he said, looking down at me.

I nodded, "Yeah. Looks like he's running a little late."

Link sighed, "How late?"

"Thirty minutes, late."

He shook his head, "And he hasn't messaged you about it?"

I shook my head, "No, I figure it's just a mishap. He'll be here soon, I'm sure."

And if by magic, there came Desmond walking up the driveway. He looked disheveled, as if he had gotten chased by a dog on his way here. He was breathing hard, but I assumed he had just been running because he was late.

"Well, I guess that's my queue to leave. I'll see you later, Pride. Tell Rhett hello for me. It was nice talking to you."

I smiled, "You too Link. Thank you. Be safe on your way home."

He gave me a wave and was on his way then.

I watched Desmond make his way up the driveway. 

It was officially time for our study date.

--------

Another update? Yay!

I hope you guys like this. 

Thank you all for reading!

Sending good vibes!

And always remember to be your mythical best!

-Robin