First Day Blues

I was never the one to love school, nor was I one to hate it, but after today I may be one of those kids who never wants to go.

First period was alright. Second period, I was unfortunate enough to be sat next to a boy who's eyes lingered for way too long. Third period, I wanted to carve my eyes out. Let's just say the high school sweethearts in front of me were a little too close.

Fourth period was split, with lunch in between. Lunch was probably the highlight of my day, though. I first sat with a group of kids who's lives depended on weed, sex, and the ass of the homecoming queen.

That's where I drew the line and moved to a table where the kids were quiet. They didn't say much at all, just ate. Maybe they didn't speak because I was there, but that was their prerogative.

We ate in silence, all chewing on our ham and cheese sandwiches until a girl with boobs bigger than my future walked by. She stopped at our table, staring down the boy sitting across from me.

"Oh Gordon, I heard you found a date to prom," she smiled, twirling her golden blonde locks on with her fingers, "But moms can never say no, huh?"

Gordon lowered his head, his nest of curly brown locks falling over his face.

She looked down at me then, "Who are you?"

I turned, "I'm Pride."

She laughed, "Well, at least it's in the name. There's no way you can have any pride walking around in those thrift shop rags. That look isn't good on you, honey."

I stood, wiping my hands on my jeans. Plastering a small grin over my face, I brought myself face to face with the blonde, "At least I don't look like I just got off the pole. And if this is some kind of defense mechanism, I must inform you that it's lacking."

Her mouth dropped open, shocked that I would respond in such a way. She probably thought that I would be like everyone else, she probably thought I'd let her talk down to me.

"Well, trailer park, let me-"

"Stop you right there. I live in a nice suburban home and buy my clothes at reasonable prices. Now, you can either continue to insult me, hoping that you'll make me hate myself, I recommend you save your breath because it won't work. Or you can walk away now, knowing that I have more pride than you expected. After all, it is in the name."

She placed her hand on her chest and gasped, "Well, there's more to you than I expected. I like it. See you around, trailer park."

With that, she walked away, shaking her hips from side to side.

I smiled internally and sat back down. I thought of Melanie then. She would have been proud of me too, I think.

I looked around the table to see all eyes on me. Gordon was smiling from ear to ear. "Wow..." He said, "That was so hot."

I felt my nerves tangle. Not exactly what wanted to hear.

The girl sitting next to him laughed, "Don't mind him. He's a mess."

I smiled, playing with the crust of my sandwich. She took a bite of her pasta, "I'm Coraline. It's nice to meet you Pride. No one ever stands up to Stacy, so it's mind blowing when it does happen."

I nodded, unsure of what to say next. She spoke again, "Oh and that's Des. He's quiet, but I know he's interested in you."

I looked over at the boy who wore a beanie and had the prettiest of blue eyes. He was looking at me, his face flushed, a pure sense of panic covering his features.