Back To School

Going to school today was going to be hard. 

I wouldn't see Desmond, luckily. He was thrown into an alternative school after the board found out about the incident. They told Rhett it was in the act of keeping me safe while I was at school, which I appreciated. 

But people knew. Desmond's friends knew, Gordon knew, Coraline knew, the principal, teachers. I wasn't exactly the most popular girl in school, but I knew once I stepped foot into that school, it'd seem that way. 

Rhett tried giving me a pep talk this morning when I refused to get out of bed.

"Please don't make me go," I'd say. 

"Pride, I won't make you go. But you're going to have to face this day eventually."

I pushed my face into my pillow and groaned. Why was he so right?

Eventually I got out of bed and got dressed. 

Rhett told me that he'd take Link and I out to dinner tonight for going to school. I didn't need food to bride me, but it was a nice idea.

Once I was in the truck, Rhett drove me to school. He told me that if anyone said anything out of line, to ignore it and just go on with the day. You can't fight fire with fire.

Two minutes later Rhett pulled up to the school. I sighed internally, but got out.

Saying bye to Rhett, I turned and headed towards the school. 

--

First period went by fine, as well as the next two, then after third I was called to the principals office.

I knew what this was about. I knew what they'd say. 

We're here if you need to talk to someone, don't worry, he's gone...blah, blah, blah.

And I was right. That's what the principal told me as I sat in her office. I felt embarrassed. I felt like a big red zit on a pre-teens face. 

"Mrs. McLaughlin, are you okay, sweetheart?" the principal asked at the end of her rant. I had zoned out, completely ignoring what she had to say.

"Oh, yes," I said, "I'm fine. Thank you."

She smiled and sent me on my way.

I looked at the clock on my way out of the office to see that it was now lunch time. 

This was the part of the day that I was dreading the most. A much as I loved Coraline and Gordon, I felt like they would want to talk about it. They were good people but they were still unsure of how far is too far.

But I swallowed my big girl pills and headed for the cafeteria. I skipped on eating and sat right at the table.

The cafeteria was practically empty, but the students were filing in fast. I pulled a book from my bag, ignoring the rest of the school, enveloping myself into it's story. I had blocked myself out of the world so well, that I didn't even realize Coraline and Gordon had joined me at the table.

"Hello," she said, nudging my shoulder. I looked up, "Oh, hello."

Gordon was already devouring his food, Coraline was holding a card in her hand. 

"Hey girl, how are you?" Gordon asked.

I shrugged, "I'm okay. You?"

He chuckled, "The same as usual. But I'm worried about you. You sure you're okay?"

I nodded, not wanting to get into it. "Well, I'm here if you need anything. I'm sure you've heard that too many times but I'm being honest. Okay?"

I agreed, a grin on my face. Coraline grabbed my hand then, "I'm so sorry about what happened," she said, "I really am. My mom told me all about it. I can't believe he would do something like that. I mean, I knew he was always a little sketchy but -"

"CORA!" Gordon spoke urgently. The tone of his voice was telling Coraline she was going too far.

"Oh, I'm sorry Pride. I didn't mean to ramble," she said, a sad frown growing on her face.

I shrugged, "Don't worry about it."

Gordon gave Coraline the stink eye and then motioned to the card. Coraline looked at it and suddenly remembered something.

"Oh, here's a card from Des. I know that he's the last person you want to hear from, but my aunt made him write this to you. You don't have to read it now. You can wait until later."

I took the card hesitantly, but then thanked her for it.

Gordon finished his food and then looked up at me, "Okay. Let's talk about something new, eh? Like my new comic book?"

He held up a Deadpool comic, smiling like a little kid.

"I would like that," I said, grateful that Gordon made an effort to keep my feelings in check.  

--

School ended without many more encounters. A teacher or two asked me how I was feeling and if I was okay and once I told them I was fine, everything went back to normal.

I was happy today was over, but even more excited when I saw Rhett drive up to the curb with Link in the middle seat if the truck. They were both smiling when I got in.

Obviously the truck was a little more cramped than usual, but I was fine with it. It made me feel secure.

"How was school?" Link asked, while I buckled myself in. I shrugged, "It wasn't bad but I'd never want to do that again."

"Did anyone cross the line?" Rhett asked, pulling onto the street.

 I shook my head, "No. People just ask you how you're doing more than needed and then you get to a point to were you want to flip a switch on yourself and disconnect from the world."

I heard Rhett sigh from a seat away. 

"Well, where are we going?" I asked, trying to change the subject.

Link looked at me with bright eyes, "China Max."

My stomach growled at the sound of the name of the best Chinese food place in town. 

"Are you okay with that?" Rhett asked.

"Yes and thank you."

--

At the restaurant, we all had our buffet plates full of various foods.

Rhett was chowing on his orange chicken and Link was spinning chow mien around his fork. 

I was digging into my fried rice when I remembered Desmond's letter.  I thought about opening it now, reading it with Rhett and Link, but we were all having such a good time that I ignored it for another few hours. 

I decided that this moment right here was too precious to waste on him. 

---------

Thanks for reading! You're wonderful!

Always remember to be your mythical best!

-Robin