Chapter 1

Chapter 1

“I don't think of all the misery, but of the beauty that still remains.”

― Anne Frank, the Diary of a Young Girl

A yellow taxi finally got to its destination, a very large building outside of city of New York. The taxi pulled up against a curb, next to a brick building that labeled it as a University Auditorium. It was a cold and windy day, you could tell by the groups of people walking around the University that had warm jackets and umbrellas. Most of them hurrying to seek warm shelter that seem out of reach. Some of them huddle together and holding cups of liquid from the local coffee shop. Either way it was freezing out, or also made the day look weary.

This day seem to hold a sadness about it. Maybe because of the weather or maybe it was because of what would happen later in the day. Maybe it was the misty rain that held off over the large area or the fog, or maybe the grey sky. The weather didn't want to make its mind up that's for sure. Finally the driver open the door to the taxi waiting for its passenger to come out. He seem to let the passenger take her time, and he didn’t seem to mind.

The driver was a medium size man with grey hair with hint of brown. He had picture of his kids on dashboard, and he often looked at the picture with smile on his face. Most people didn’t like this job but he loved it. He got to meet new people every day and hear their stories. He was a nice gentlemen and often made small talk with those who seemed to not mind. Other than that being a taxi driver had its strengths, and he would want any other job in the world.

The women who happen to be in the back of the taxi took a deep breathe in and out. She pushed her white hair that fell over her face, out of view of her eyes. She was nervous, that she knew for sure, sense she kept pulling at scarf or the fact she kept looking around.  But she needed to do this. She had too, at least that’s what she told herself. Her eyes held something in them, maybe the fact that she was almost 90 years old, or maybe there was another reason for that. Or maybe because she seen so much when she was young.

She had a story waiting to burst out of her. She knew that sounded but it was the truth A real story, not the kind you just make up, it was her story. And now she had a chance to share it with the world, or well the people in the building that showed up. Which wasn’t the whole entire world and for that she was thankful. Her story would be told and maybe people would learn something from it. She hoped people did. And maybe it would start with telling a few people or maybe she would tell more. All she knew was this was a start.

It was here at the local University that she was about to speak in front of maybe a thousand people about her life.

Her life was well not normal. When was anybody’s life normal anyway?  She knew that, and the pain she saw would never leave her. But this was her first time telling this story, to a large crowd like this. She did tell her story to her children and grandchildren but not the whole story.

The lady put the scarf around her, as it would safe her from the cold wind and the mist, that soon waited for her as soon as she step out of the Taxi.  She hoped the day would be a little bit warming but she didn’t mind. Or the fact that she was just cold. She decided to get this over with, and it was about time.

The Driver open the door, and gave her smile which the lady returned back. As soon as she step out of the taxi she handed the Driver amount of change that was due, and little extra money. The man thanked the woman and made sure that she was okay before leaving the University.

The lady started at the huge building before her. She relax her shoulders, and took a breath again. She walked to the building looking ever so often around her. She was glad she wore comfortable boots today, and made a mental note to get some coffee soon as she walked closer to the large brick building.