Chapter 17

Chapter 17

“A story has no beginning or end: arbitrarily one chooses that moment of experience from which to look back or from which to look ahead.” 

― Graham Greene

Now I’m sure that this was it. We would be gone in matter of minutes. I saw what happen to the people who entered the Death Chamber or the Gas Chamber as it’s called. People go in the chamber alive, but come out dead. It was fast death in way besides the fact of not breathing. And the fact that they just shoved the last person into the chamber and was about to shut on the door.

All we really had to do was wait. Wait for death to show up and take us away from this place. I wanted to see my family again. At least I would see them again. Really that was the only thing I was looking forward too but no here I was about to die.

Tick Tock Tick Tock went the mental cloak in my head. Okay that sounded weird but it was something that kept me going at least even through facing almost death once again. I wondered if there was a light at the end of the tunnel or I would wake up somewhere and see my parents again. Mostly I didn’t know what to think of, what would happen when I died. I felt as if I sinned and shouldn’t be left with anything. Maybe we deserved what was coming.

Tick Tock Tick Tock

Still nothing, and I knew that deaths were fast over with. At least that’s what we saw in the past. Why weren’t we dead yet? Was I really just questioning why I wasn’t dead? That still seemed a little strange to me even with everything was going on.

Here I was, alive. I was actually alive, and had to make sure I was here because I didn’t feel like I was here. But here I was not dead, but free. We were free, well not really free. I had no idea what was going on. By the look of everyone faces in the chamber who were with me were just as shock as I was. That in turn gave me some hope and of course made me worry.

Being free wasn’t a term we used often. Force to see stuff, and rights that were taken away as soon as that Man got power. What did Freedom Mean? What was freedom when you didn’t have it forever, I didn’t get what that meant. Was this another trick?  Was this a joke? Because it seemed like a very cruel joke. It seemed that life gave a lot of those out lately.

There was shouting, and running about outside but the door didn’t close. The door didn’t close like it was suppose too. We were supposed to be dead right now but we were all very much alive. I didn’t know what to do, nobody knew what to do really. It was awkward standing there naked starting at the open the door. We stood that for minutes waiting for our finale scene. That sounded as if it came from the novels I use to read. I didn’t see the reason to even be here.

One of the older adults decided go outside. I wasn’t that brave anymore like she was. We waited to hear gun shots, or soldiers yelling but nothing. Which was weird as we knew if one of us stepped out the soldiers if were there would shot us. Also knew, we all knew that they didn’t believe in second chances or chances if any. I know we didn’t so where were they? We waited for ever, scared that whatever was waiting out there for us was going to be our death.

We all jumped when she came back in. This time with clothing in her arms, it seemed to be as much as clothing she could carry. She came back, almost scared us half to death as she made no sound really. She threw bunch of clothing at us. The women I knew as Madeline had a huge smile on her face.    The kind I haven’t seen for years. She grinned at all of us telling to put the clothes on.

“There gone” she said softly, making us stare at her as if she was saying the Queen of England was here.

“THERE GONE” She shouted as us, and ran out of the gas chamber and we could only stare at her retreating figure in shock. Ounce we were all dressed, we walked outside to see no soldiers around at all. They seem to disappear, I don’t know where. But All I did know was that we were free. Freedom was actually real and this all seemed like a really good dream. Most of us turn to our neighbor’s and pinch them just to make sure. Again this felt like a really weird dream.