Chapter 14

Chapter 14

It's so much darker when a light goes out than it would have been if it had never shone.” 
― John Steinbeck

            I woke up with headache, a slight one. I sat up in bed, the bed that usually slept in. I was confusing having no idea how I got here because I remembered a Solider with a gun pointed at me. Why wasn’t I dead? Why did my head heart? I didn’t know notice someone by my bed. I almost screamed but whoever was there with me but her hand over my mouth as I realized that everyone else was still asleep.

I didn’t want to wake up the rest of the workers. Knowing they would most likely be mad at me.  We didn’t get that much sleep so we took what we had. Usually just glared at us if we walked them up early or they yell at us or something close to that nature. We were not a bunch of morning people that was for sure.

            I sat up way to quickly hitting my head on the wood bed frame. I rubbed my head, wincing because of the pain. That really did hurt, not I had bump on the back on my head and the front of my head I thought rolling my eyes. Why did that always happen to me at least once or twice during a month here? Always gave me headaches which I wasn’t looking forward to for today. At least I could still joke about some things. Humor the greatest kind of medicine there was at least that’s what my father said. At least I remember that.

The person knelt by the bed, and I could see who it was. It was a lady about my mother’s age with brown long hair. She had blue eyes, which seemed kind. She was average seize and height.

 She gave me smile, so at least she didn’t look like she was about to kill me. Okay you can’t blame me from not freaking out about this. She could have killed me at any second but she looked nice. I know I was little paranoid but I was used to seeing people kill people and I wasn’t the most wanted but they just didn’t like any of us.  

She wasn’t wearing clothes like the workers or the soldiers. So maybe she wasn’t here to hurt me. She did however wore a blue dress, which seemed really nice. Her clothes were way too nice to be part of the workers. I missed dresses like that even though I wasn’t a huge fan of dresses but I would rather wear that then the uniforms we got.

She gave me a sad smile. Okay that wasn’t good thing. I hated sad smiles, because they were never good. That either meant they knew something you didn’t and they didn’t want to tell you or I’m really sorry about something. Either way I didn’t like it. I didn’t even like smiles anymore they scared me to much especially when you see a solider smiling it’s kind of creepy but terrifying.  I used to actually like smiles believe it or not. I missed my parents smiling, and Emma smiling. Gosh I just miss when things were kind of normal.

“I’m glad you’re awake, the pain should go away. You’ll be a little forgetful but your memory will come back to you soon. But you can’t tell anyone was here” she whispered quickly and before I could see anything took off outside.  I watch her leave to shock to really say anything.

Well that was weird I thought watching her shut the door behind her. Who exactly was she and why did she help me? Was she one of the soldier’s wife’s that helped me? What did she helped me? I was confused on who that lady was and why she helped me. Is it that bad that I think its bad when someone helps me? Or when someone is nice to me?  I hoped this wasn’t going to stay with me if I ever would get out of here. I didn’t want to think like that forever. There was always hope that I would get out of this place and everything would be somewhat okay. But who am I kidding, when will things ever be okay? Again I was mad at myself for being like this. I was a happy person I really was this wasn’t me at all.