Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

Lublin, Poland 1941

I woke up to a warm day, which was nice I have to say.  I learned to be grateful for the good days and just get through the bad. The Sun was shining through my windows, the sunlight hit my bed waking me every time. Always matched my yellow walls which never made me depress at all. The room was small, even the apartment was small but it was home. Even though most people hated the Ghetto.  I loved it here and was mostly glad I didn’t have to share my room with my sister. I knew I left the curtains closed last night, my Mother must have open them to wake me up.  I sat up on my twin bed, pushing my white blankets away and got up to stretch. It always took me a while to wake up.

I walked over to my wooden desk that had my birthday presents from yesterday all on the wooden desk that I usually use for writing or homework. For birthday presents I got, Journal for my writing as my Mother knew I love writing. I got a stuff brown bear from my sister Emma. It was almost like the one I got her for her birthday but mine was a dark shade of brown as slightly bigger then hers.  I also had Candy from friends and family and finally chalk with drawing book from my Father who knew I love writing. I couldn’t decide which one was my favorite, I really loved all of the gifts I got, sure it wasn’t much but I loved them all.

Yesterday was really wonderful but somebody was missing. My Best Friend name Zoey Hirsch. Zoey has been my friend sense I was a little girl. We live right next to each other or at least we use to. We always hung out, and never missed each other’s birthday. She would have told me if she couldn’t make it. She would of called or mention it to me. Sure we lived a mile or so from each other but she was my best friend. Something was really wrong and I knew it. Why didn’t she show up yesterday? Even this week, really we didn’t talk much, something was really wrong. Today I have to talk to Zoey I thought as I headed to the bathroom to take bathe.

After the bathe I changed into my normal clothes. Being Jewish, I had to wear a Star of David on my clothes. I don’t know why really, but we just had to. I put on my brownish dress with Star of David sewn to it. I also wore my nylons. My plain black shoes fit perfectly. I wished I had more colorful clothing but I was okay with what I had, but still didn’t mean I had to like it.

Lately I notice a lot of things have been strange but only for a group of people. So far if you’re Jewish you are supposed to wear Star of David on your clothes.  Another thing, my sister and I couldn’t go to our school anymore. We had to go to Jewish school and I couldn’t see Zoey that much at school anymore. We also had curfew and we couldn’t see movies. We were force to leave our home to apartment that had two floors. It seemed strange that it was only happening to certain group of people. I wondered why us? Why people who were Jewish? Was there others going through the same thing? But we tried not letting us get to us. But at least we had a home, unlike of others in the ghetto that couldn’t afford it and had to live on streets.

            I heard a noise downstairs that woke me from my thoughts. I open my door to hear someone picking up the phone. Knowing that it would be my sister because my parents usually went to get stuff from store at this time. Also by the fact there was a lot of nose down stairs. I know my sister didn’t mean it but well she is eight years old. My little sister picking up the phone and came up stairs to my room. Which I thought it was weird. Did I have phone call? Maybe it was Zoey, explaining what was going on with her!

"Holly, Holly" exclaimed Emma running to me. "It's Zoey, she wants to talk to you." Why I was right I thought while listening to Emma.

Emma was jumping up and down, her brown hair bounced up and down with her. Her blue eyes held such wonder. She was always full of energy but rarely showed it around strangers. I wish I had that much energy some days.  She was shy until you got to know her. She was already dress in her favorite white dress that also had Star of David on it.