Chapter 4

Chapter 4.

“When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching -- they are your family.” 

― Jim Butcher

I woke up to sun streaming through my room yet again and the smell of my mother’s cooking woke me up from the dream I had. Well I’m not going to say it was a good dream because it really wasn’t.

The dream was basically what happen between me and Zoey.  I forgot some of it but from what I remember it was Zoey saying she wasn’t my friend all alone. That she used me to get information on me and my family. That she didn’t care about anything and hated us from the start.

I woke up in tears which isn’t a great way to wake up. I didn’t want my mom to really talk about it. I just hope she just pretended the talk never happen because that’s what I needed right now. I need a sense of normalcy or somewhat close to it. Whatever the world normal meant because I didn’t even know anymore.

Not wanting to get off of my bed yet I laid there hoping I could go back to sleep and wake up and none of this ever happen but of course that wouldn’t happen. It would be nice though I thought as I sat up in bed.

I heard someone coming up the steps, and walk towards my door. There was a knock on the door softly, which I guess was my mom.

“Come in” I said softly, thanking myself my voice didn’t crack. My mother came in looking quite tired. Her brown hair in bun. She was already dress in her working clothes. I would have to stay home with Emma as my Mother and Father had to go to work. I was okay with it, they had to do this.

“Hey Dearie, looks like I’m staying home today with you and Emma” said Mother sitting on my bed. She looked sad, and I wondered if they made her quit or she quit herself. Or she just didn’t have to go to work today.

“I thought you had work” I said while rubbing my eyes, to try to wake up. Mother gave me a sad smile.

“They found the library burned down, the soldiers” she muttered sadly and got up from the bed.  She didn’t want to talk about by the looks of it. She was never the kind of person that would let negative things get to or at least she would try not letting it get to her.

I got up and gave her a hug. Sure I couldn’t bring her job back or get her a new one but at least I would be here for her. I couldn’t believe that happen, and I didn’t get why it would happen. My mother was amazing at her job sure she was just a librarian but her love of writing is what inspired me to read more books.

“I’m Sorry Mother” I said as she hugged me back. She gave me a smile and kissed my forehead, showing that she was going to be okay.

“Thanks Dearie, now why don’t you get dress? Breakfast is ready down stairs” she said softly and went to go wake up my sister.

I picked up out a brown dress with Star of David on it with white nylons. I quickly got change and went down stairs to get some breakfast. Emma was already at the table not awake yet. She was still dress in her nightclothes. A long white nightdress, that made her look like she was shrinking in it. Her eyes were half close as if she was still asleep. She wasn’t a morning person at all and to tell the truth I wasn’t either.

I smiled at my sister as her attempts to wake herself drinking a class of water, with tried look on her face. Didn’t look like she was going to wake up anytime .soon. This made me smile, partly because of my sister and just the little things in life that made me smile.

Our Father came down the stairs, wearing his work clothes for plumbing. He looked also tired as if he and Mother spent all night talking about stuff. Which I did hear them talk about things but I was too tired to see what it was.  He kissed me and Emma’s forehead. And Kiss Mother on check and grabbed a piece of toast.

“Off to Work” I asked after taking a drink of water. He nodded, looking like he didn’t exactly wanted to go to work today.

Which I understand with everything going on, I would want to stay with the family. But we needed money and we didn’t want to end up on the street like our older neighbors who have three children. Luckily they had friends who had some room for them and they were safe. I wished we could leave through. Sure it’s okay but I just didn’t like it here anymore. Too much death and sadness, not a great place to live at but we had too.

Emma gave Father a hug and I did to before he left. He said his I loves you and was out the door. Mother gave worried look as he walked out of the house. She sighed and turn around washing the dishes as she wanted to forget whatever she was thinking about. I quickly at my breakfast and offered to wish the dishes for her but she said no. I think she need to just be on her own at least. After Emma was done and gave mom dishes Emma went upstairs to get ready for school. I got my homework from last week which thankfully I finished.

I waited for my sister like I always did as she came down stairs in almost the same outfit I had on. We had our school outfits. I didn’t mine it really but I didn’t like it that much. At least at the old school we went to we could wear whatever we wanted to at least.  We went to the kitchen to say goodbye to our Mother as we were going to hide off to school when she stopped us.

“You don’t have school today, go change into normal clothes” said Mother with small smile that I could tell that was fake. But I decided not to ask and we went back up stairs and got change into our somewhat normal clothes.

Sad they we weren’t a loud to go outside we decided to help clean the house. Yes I know we were helping her clean the house but when you have nothing to really do cleaning actually sounds better then starting at the walls for a very long time. It kind of gets boring after a while. I liked helped our mother out actually despite me want to read most of the time.

Mother didn’t seemed to mind actually, she was glad that we helped. Well I helped her, while Emma decided to go upstairs and play with her dollies leaving us two alone.

“Holly, about Zoe-“Mother began but I kindly cut her off not really want to talk about it.

“Can we not talk about it, I just” I trailed off holding a white cloth in my hand. My Mother nodded and asked me about school and other things thankful. Zoey was hopefully going to be long forgotten. I knew thinking about it or talking about it was just going to get more upset then I was already.

Mother decided to let me go and try to have some fun. I went upstairs back to my room knowing that they wasn’t going to be much to do for the fact we couldn’t really go outside anymore. I glance out the window to see soldiers again marching up and down the streets. It fact I think it was the same group from yesterday.

Time went quickly and I found comfort in books. Usually went I read the book I get so lost in it that I forget where I am. I mean I know where I am but it’s like entering another world. A place where you weren’t judge for being you. You could be anyone you ever wanted to be in the books. Going on adventures and saving people. You can go on quest or just have fun. Nobody hates you for being different because being different is respected in well not all books but most of them. When I’m reading I feel safe, so I can read for hours and not even care what’s going on around me.

Time actually went by fast thanks to reading. I was interrupted by my little sister who wanted to play hide and seek. She even managed to get Mother playing with us. It took for hours actually because it turned out that me and my sister were actually really good hiders.

The day went by uneventful really besides dad coming home a little late and wanted to mother about something. He told me and Emma to go to bed earlier tonight because he had something to plan tomorrow which I wondered what it was. I went to bed as I came up with my own ideas on what would happen tomorrow. But for some odd reason I had a bad feeling about it.