Chapter 5

Chapter 5

“Hope is the thing with feathers

That perches in the soul

And sings the tune without the words

And never stops at all.”

― Emily Dickinson

The next day I woke up again and same feeling was with me. Mother had a worried look on her face, of course that wasn't good. I also couldn't help but worry. I was sitting in the living room reading a book while Emma of course was playing with her teddy bear. Mom was knitting something then Father was walking back and forth over and over again.

 It was rather amusing at the same time it had me very worried. Nothing was good when he paced back and forth. The last time he did that was when he told us that Grandmother was dead. Thankfully mom didn’t bring up the talk we had last night and I wondered if she told dad. Maybe that was why he was pacing back and forth throughout the house.

"Father what's a matter?" I question. He went upstairs and brought out three suit cases. Were we moving or something? Was this why he was pacing back and forth? Where would we going to go?

"We are moving" I stated not a question of course but I was scared. He nodded at me not saying anything more.

I took this as go pack look and decided to help Emma with her things.  I took Emma up stairs to help pack her things. I was trying to calm myself down so Emma didn't know I was really freaking out.  Truth is that I was scared, and that I didn’t know what was going to happen but I knew we had to leave. I wonder where we would go. On both sides our grandparents were dead it was just us sense Mother or Father didn’t have any brothers and sisters. Unless you counted Uncle Johnathan who lived in America. Emma and I never meet him and dad hardly talked about him. I always wondered what happen between them but never asked, not wanting Father to be mad.

After helping Emma pack her things, I headed to my room.  I put some my clothes and my books in my suitcase. Not important things because I hoped to be back and I didn’t know where we were going.

"Emma, let's go" I said holding her hand as we went down stairs. Emma had tears in her eyes, it broke my heart to see her like this. I only saw Emma cry once or twice. I didn’t want her to go through something like this, or whatever was going on. I had mission to make it sure, she was okay.

"Emma, Look whatever happens out there, I'm with you ". We sat at the couch waiting for our parents. My parents came down the stairs. My Mother’s eyes were red and I was wondering what was going on. Then we heard a loud sound, as someone broke our door.

Emma and I screamed in terror but Father put his hands on our mouths, to keep us quite but it was too late. A group of young men soldiers, Nazis stood in our house with guns pointed straight as us. They didn’t have any emotions on their faces at all. The symbol on their sleeve, was the symbol that Zoey should me. The symbol I saw many times. The symbol was Swastika, which wasn’t good news at all.

 I grabbed Father’s arm as Emma hold on to our Mothers. My Father stood in front of us girls as the soldiers still had guns pointed at us. He was trying to protect us if the soldiers actually used the guns. I didn’t want anyone to die.

 One of the soldiers in front, spoke at us in German first. I don’t know why he did that but he did. He could have just said whatever he had to say in English. Even though we were Polish, we did speak some English. I didn’t get why he didn’t use it at first.  He said "Sie wird sterben"(you will die). Well that was words of encouragement I thought dryly, starting wide eyed at the soldiers, who didn’t seem to pleasant at all. He pointed the guns at us then motion us to the door.