Chapter 6

Chapter 6

“One lives in the hope of becoming a memory.” 

― Antonio Porchia

The noise made me jump and my sister ran to me, hand over her ears.  The sound was deifying and my ears were ringing. My ear stop ringing after a while as I finally got catch up on what just happened.

Gun shots echoed through the crowd. Emma hold on to me still as I realize my parents weren’t by us anymore. They were right in front of us, and I knew they would but no they weren’t and I was scared. I felt a wave of panic hit me as I swear they were right by me yelling at officer.

I looked to the ground to see both of them laying on the floor. Emma was making her way toward them, as I could see red liquid come from them. Something was wrong, they were not moving anymore. Please don’t be dead I thought as half of me wanted to run, and half of wanted to go to my parents. I pulled Emma back so she wouldn’t go up to them.

Mother’s eyes were wide open with fear and her hand stretch towards me and Emma. My Father’s hand was wrapped around Mother’s trying to protect her from whatever was going to happen. He wasn’t moving either. If they could just move so I could breathe again. I wanted to run over there and shake them, but I knew that would work.  They were gone, lifeless and I couldn’t do anything.

I felt fresh tears fall down my face as it hit me what just happen. To tell you the truth I felt like I couldn’t breathe at all. I couldn’t really describe it in way. . I couldn’t but I knew I had to be strong because Emma was here and everything was going on way to fast. It felt like for moment just one moment the world stop moving or seemed to be moving slowly and I couldn’t think I was crying so hard and so was my little sister, we really couldn't see. I couldn’t do anything which was the worse feeling at all. Just to watch this happen right in front of you and not able to do anything about it. You couldn’t pretend it didn’t happen but it did. You couldn’t tell your little sister that it was just her imagination because it happened.

One of the soldiers dragged us away from our parents. We didn’t even get to say goodbye or even go by them. We were loaded into a train with 100 people maybe even more. Some of them were kids of close to Emma’s age, some my age, some adults and even elders were on the Cattle Car. But one thing stood out, we were all wearing the Star of David on our clothes. All of them young and old, no matter what age?

They shut the doors, leaving us left in what seemed to be total darkness. It don’t know if you ever been through that but it was just bit scary even for me. It was dark expect form of a light above my head and I soak that light in. I wondered where we were going. I know it wasn’t somewhere safe, they killed our parents.

I knew from that point on, me and my sister will never see our parents again. We didn’t even get to say goodbye. We got pushed to the side of the cart as more and more people filled the cart. I kneeled down next to Emma to give her something before the cart would be full. Needed her to kind of understand what happen. Trust me I didn’t want to tell her this way, and I didn’t want our parent’s death to be like this.

“Mother and Father are sleeping right now, were safe okay. So we have to be strong right now, I know its hard Emma, but we did to be strong” I said to my sister, trying not to cry.

 I knew it was dumb asking Emma to be strong but I had too, because we needed too. Whatever was going to happen to us we had to be strong because if we didn’t we would like them win. And I wasn’t going to let them win. They couldn’t win this because we had each other and as cheesy as it sounded maybe it was all we needed

Emma didn’t say anything but nodded.  She was confuse and most likely in shock but that wasn’t going to happen. I didn’t blame her as I felt the same way. Also the fact that I was most likely in shock also. Wouldn’t you if you just saw your parent’s murder in front of you? I mean I know what happen, and that I wasn’t going to see them again. Not everyone sees their parent’s murder before them like that. With Emma at age of eight, I hope that she would get through this. I stood back up and grabbed her hand. We stood against the wall of the cart making us little as possible. So that we had enough room to breathe or at least try to breath.