Chapter 10

Chapter 10

“Being brave is when you have to do something because you know it is right, but at the same time, you are afraid to do it, because it might hurt or whatever. But you do it anyway.” 

― Meg Cabot

I lost count on what day it was but the soldiers were noticing so I decided to stop. The wooden post had too many lines on it anyways. Time seemed to go faster anyways, days blended together and I really didn’t know what was going on anymore.

I was just glad we weren’t digging graves again. That was the only time really that we ever did that again. I saw them throw dead bodies into the graves. That made me depressed. We were digging graves, which is sick and wrong. I was just scared we were digging our own ones. That they would just kill us already and we would just die but I guess that wasn’t the case here. I think in a way it was away to scare us or something but I’m not really sure what they wanted us to do. Plus I lost where I put the stone already. It seemed to go missing but I didn’t care. Maybe keeping track of the day we have been here wasn’t a good idea.

Other than that things were changing, many people were getting sick. Of course there wasn’t any good changing.  Emma had this cough with her and it scared me. Because I knew they wouldn’t help us. If you were sick you either had to fight through it or you were going to die. At least that’s what it looked like to the soldiers but to us it made us want to fight. After all there is that saying “What Doesn’t kill you Makes You Stronger” and I don’t know if that was exactly true but it seemed like it. Either why it made us want to keep on going and prove the soldiers wrong.

Also the fact that there was more people coming in everyday and most of them seemed to be Emma’s age which I didn’t get why they were here. It was wrong on making little kids go through this, they had so much to live for but I guess not in the soldiers eyes. Most of them died in the first week but some who are fighters like Emma are still here but barley holding on. It was just wrong on how even the kids were treated. They were kids, but of course the soldiers didn’t care. They never did care which is also depressing.

Instead of believing on what they told us. On how we were animals and useless gave us something to fight.  How we should just give up already because there was no hope for us. How we were worthless, ugly and we didn’t deserve to be here on earth. It was like when I was being bullied when I was little in school.

Before I meet Zoey I was bullied every day. I was called cruel names and laughed at. Instead of crying it just made me made. So mad I almost punched a little boy but Zoey stopped me. That’s how we became friends oddly enough. I didn’t get mad a lot but lately, I felt like that little girl being bullied again wanting to take a stand. I was too scared to but Zoey helped me with that. And showed me that I was worth it no matter what anybody said about me. Even through right now I dislike Zoey I still had to agree with her past self.

I wasn’t the only one feeling this way. Many of the fellow prisoners were glaring at the guards when they weren’t looking. Most of us not prone to violence were itching to get out of the place that we hated. Yet nobody did anything because it wasn’t the time at least not yet. We had to time plan to do something at least.

The plan was simple just to get out of the camp alive. Alive being the man mission and helpfully nobody would get hurt. I didn’t want anyone to get hurt at all. Being alive seemed really hard and trust me it was. So far Emma and I seemed to be the only ones talking about it. We talked during break, but not when the soldiers watching us.

At least we got break to ourselves. The soldiers went back and forth not really watching us which was nice in way. At least we didn’t have eyes on us all day and night that would be creepy. That didn’t like watching over us at all, which I guess in way was another good thing because they would try to keep themselves busy with something else. I didn’t know what that would be but at least they were keeping busy, and not bothering us. The truth was Emma was getting sick and she needed to get to the doctor. I knew there wasn’t any more Jewish doctor’s, at least they had to be in camps like this or dead. If she would get worse and die I wouldn’t forgive myself. They had to be away out of this place, so we had a chance to get out of here too but I we didn’t know how yet.