Shower Talk

The first thing that my brain registered in the morning was her absence.

"Finally you're awake too," Ethan praised me sarcastically.

He was sitting on the bed, his phone in his hands. I had a quick look at him, before rubbing my eyes. He was already fully dressed.

"Dude, she's in the bathroom crying her eyes out!"

"What?"

I crawled and stumbled out of my bed, throwing the blanket carelessly aside. Standing in front of the bathroom door, I tried to eavesdrop.

"Apparently she was about to take a shower. I heard her sobs and knocked on the door. She opened it and seemed frightened of the water," he explained, rubbing his neck. "I told her that water is made out of hydro--"

I opened the door, determined to see for myself how bad the situation was, before Ethan could spew out all those water facts.

"Ruth?"

She was sitting on the floor, leaning against the bathtub. The girl's eyes were glassy and tears ran down her cheeks. Her gaze was focused on the hideous blue rug in front of her feet.

There was a heavy feeling in my chest. I knew that I'd screw up badly - I'm not qualified for comforting people. Where was Dakota when you needed her?

I kneeled down right in front of her. I had no idea where I was going with this. The only thing I knew was that I couldn't stand her being sad.

"Are you scared?" I asked softly, secretly wishing that the problem would resolve on its own.

She nodded, her dark eyes glancing up at me. And the way she looked at me; like she knew for a fact that I could help her.

"Of what?"

Those enchanting eyes danced over my face. "Water," it dropped from her lips.

My eyebrows knitted together in confusion as I stared a little too long at Ruth's lips. Ethan had been right. "But why?" Once the question was in the room, I felt like slapping my forehead. "I mean, were you always scared of water?"

She shook her head. "I might drown."

The idea hit me, when I looked into her sorrowful face. She should never look that way. Ruth wasn't a sad poem. She was one of those happy songs Ethan would always listen to, while drowning his worries in alcohol.

"Tell you what," I said tenderly. "I'll sit right here on the toilet - uh, obviously I won't be using it, uhm."

I was messing up and she was grinning - ironically - with tears in her eyes. This girl was a masterpiece.

"I'll wait until you're finished."

Her grin turned into a grateful and heartfelt smile. There was pride rising in my chest. She was smiling again. Smiling again because of me.

"Yes, please."

I asked her random shit while she was under the shower. For example if she believed in aliens, what her favorite sportsteam was and how showers looked back in her time. Her answers were always very short and I wondered if she was annoyed by my questions, so I decided to ask her.

"I enjoy listening to you," was her answer to that.

By the time Ruth was out of the shower, Ethan had already left. A few minutes had passed and we sat in the lecture room, listening to Mr. Byden, who tends to go off at a tangent. Ruth seemed to be in her element, raising her hand and being pretty much the only one discussing historical facts with him. Everything she did seemed so pure and so right to me. Like she knew exactly what she was doing and there was no other way. She sat straight in her seat, hands on the desk and an attentive look written on her face. This girl was way too fascinating to be a part of my world. I could watch her until the end of time, I wouldn't get sick of her. Fascination. I told myself over and over again, that this must be fascination - nothing more. I couldn't possibly see myself liking her after two days. I was never someone to fall that easily for anything or anyone. No, that wasn't like me.

Clearing my throat, I averted my head away and looked at my empty notepad instead, pretending that her beautiful voice did not faze me in the slightest.

Colton, George and Lillith headed us off on the way out.

"Parks, where where was your crazy ass yesterday? You missed out on the party," George said.

"More importantly on boobs and asses," Colton added, pointing with raised eyebrows and a smirk at me.

I chuckled, driving fingers through my thick blonde hair. "Fell asleep," I shrugged.

"Who's she?" Colton nodded at Ruth's direction.

Fuck me! Rang through my clouded mind now. Lillith was looking curiously, somewhat worriedly at me, as she chewed on her damn kissable lips.

I laid one hand on Ruth's shoulder. "She's my step-sister," I declared. "She decided to visit me here."

I felt her tense under my hand. I let go and she scratched the skin near her ear.

Lillith's expression unfolded into a smile. "Your sister is so good at history!"

"Yeah," I glanced at Ruth for a slight second. "She is."

"Would you mind tutoring me? I would pay you, of course."

Ruth looked taken off guard. Her lips parted slightly and her eyes widened a little. Lillith must have noticed her discomfort too. "Y-you really don't have to if you don't wanna. I totally understand," She stammered, waving her hands in front of her chest.

I had to remind myself to keep my eyes up.

Ruth replied with a warm smile, "It would be my pleasure."