More Than Love

I went straight for the bathroom and washed his blood from my hands.

My behavior wasn't okay, I got that, but no one has ever been in this position. If they were, I don't think they could really blame me. After all he was threatening us with prison and death. This dude was straight up a psychopath.

I snorted bitterly.

How ironic that I was the one with blood on my hands.

I looked up at the mirror and spotted Ruth at the door.

She had a knowing look on her face, so I winced.

"I saw everything from the kitchen-window," she told me softly. "And I heard you screaming something about the police. What is going on?"

Turning off the water, I faced Ruth and came clean.

"Perhaps we should apologize to him and help him earn a girl's love. Maybe he just yearns for someone to like him," she suggested sheepishly.

"Are you kidding? No one deserves an idiot like him. And we're definitely not going to apologize to that guy. He'll always have something on his hands to blackmail us."

"So will he if you do what he tells you to," Ruth replied.

"That's why Ethan needs to hurry up with his invention," I sighed desperately.

There was silence.

Then I saw her stifling her laughter, so I grinned.

"We both punched the poor fellow," she explained.

I chuckled tiredly.

One day, Ruth and I were grocery shopping for the house-party that I was throwing.

"You excited for your first house-party?" I asked her, pushing the shopping cart along, which was filled with alcoholic beverages and some stuff that my mom had asked us to get.

I stopped when she grabbed something from the shelf and put it nicely into the cart.

My glances followed the object, "Chocolate covered raisins?" I chuckled, raising my eyebrows. "We definitely don't have the same taste."

"That's why I like you and you like me," she said, then blushed.

I felt genuine happiness spread in my chest.

"You know, I couldn't agree more."

Once we got out of the store, we heard barking. A beagle was tethered to a pole.

Ruth let out a shriek and I bursted out in laughter at the sight. She started laughing along, but her laughter sounded more like terrified whining, so I laughed even harder.

The dog watched us, leaning his head to the side.

"I'm sure it's a friendly dog," I told her, when I was able to talk again.

Ruth didn't even listen. She stared at it, as if it was one of the hounds of hell.

"Why don't you try to pet it?" I told her softly, while walking over to the dog and doing it myself.