Three Days

When I got out of the hospital and entered my room, I was greeted by a decorated room.

"Welcome back, love!" Ruth exclaimed from behind me, before giving me a tender kiss on the cheek from behind.

"Thanks, babe! You shouldn't have."

"Surprise!"

My dad had walked out from behind the door.

I'm pretty sure that my eyes went wide when I saw him standing right in front of me. I hadn't seen him in about 7 months. He was always so busy.

"You - he - I - what?" I stammered out.

"C'mere, my boy," dad laughed happily, hugging my head.

I hugged him back and it felt great.

When we let go of each other, I looked at Ruth. "How did you..."

"It wasn't just me," she clarified. "Your mom helped a lot."

"Babygirl, you are the best!"

"You took quite the beating," dad spoke up, hiding a playful grin.

"You should see that other dude," I told him with a confident smirk, crossing my arms.

We talked and caught up with each other's life. Dad had a new girlfriend and wanted me to meet her some day. I told him about college and about Ethan and Dakota.

Afterwards we took Ruth to the park of my childhood. We had a picnic and played some football.

Ruth caught the ball like four times maybe. We made a little fun of her.

She started running away with the ball, so I tried to catch her. She just giggled, turning around every now and then.

"Oh come on, gimme a break," I told her, still running. "I've got broken ribs."

"Well, and I've got a broken heart from all the mocking," she frowned, visibly making fun of me.

"Oh please," I told her with a smirk, being right on her tail now. "You can't get something broken that you don't have."

I caught her, putting my arms around her waist.

"Ice cold," she commented.

I laughed, as she turned around in my arms to face me.

Putting some of her black locks out of her face, I gave her a kiss on her cute nose.

She responsed with a quick kiss to my lips.

"Okay, you lovebirds," dad said, walking over to us. "Let's eat something."

I took her hand in mine and we walked over to picnic blanket.

Unfortunately dad couldn't stay for very long. But I was happy nonetheless to have had the chance to see him again. The fact that Ruth helped mom to get him to visit and came up with the idea, meant so much to me. I couldn't ask for a better girl to have my heart.

A few days later, Ruth and I had decided to go to an open air cinema.

After the movie, one thing led to the other in the car.

"Are you sure, baby?"

"Of course I am," she had answered me, staring up at me with pure adoration and determination. "I love you more than life itself."

She was so beautiful. The word didn't do her any justice.

That night I felt completely whole. Invincible.

Once we got back home, and she was sleeping safe and sound on my chest, I got a message.

Sighing, I looked at the display.

Unknown number

Only 3 days til college starts :)

I swore to myself that I'd make him pay for everything he put us through.

"Only three days until your little game's over, asshole," I muttered at the ceiling.