Monsters Under Her Bed

"Slam dunk!" George hollered pumped.

We continued playing for another hour, before we took a break.

"So I've heard that that Ruth chick ain't your step-sister," Colton said, as he opened a bottle. "Are you tryin' to keep the guys away from her?" he chuckled, before gulping down the water.

"Now tell us, who's she?" George inquired with a wink, swinging his elbow against mine.

The other guys were listening too.

I put a foot on the bench, acting like I was occupied with my shoelaces.

I had to think fast.

"She is," I heard someone say. "I met her dad, when Cory's mom invited me over for dinner. Don't mind Seth - he's talking crap like always."

Colton chuckled in surprise, "You guys finally official?"

I didn't hear the rest of the conversation. I was so thankful for Lillith having my back.

I caught her eye, while she was talking to Colton and I mouthed her a thank you. She smiled unsurely at me.

After practice, Lillith asked me to talk to her. She had been watching the game the whole time.

Colton gave me a knowing look, before he left, "Get her, tiger!" he had said.

"Thank you, Lillith. Really. You saved my ass," I told her, after the last guy left the gym.

"You're always welcome, Cory," she almost whispered, looking deep into my eyes.

I gave her a crooked smile.

"Please tell Ruth that I don't need any more tutoring lessons."

I nodded, thinking about how bumped out Ruth would be. She was so proud of earning money and she liked tutoring Lillith.

She then sighed, looking briefly at her feet, before getting on her tip toes and kissing me on my cheek. "I'm fine if we just... continue what we had. I don't wanna lose you entirely."

I couldn't even process what she had suggested, before we heard Seth say, "Isn't that just so cute?" leaning on the doorframe of the gym.

Lillith frowned, "Go away, this is none of your concern!"

"Heard your little discussion about Ruth back in your dorm," he told us with a mischievous grin, stepping closer. "I was hiding under your bed the whole time, and you didn't even notice. Just like you never noticed how much I loved you, Lillith."

That's when I pretty much knew that we were fucked.

I took a deep breath, trying to control my anger, as I debated if I should kick that punk's face in.

"You treated me like crap!" she yelled at him.

He scrunched up his nose in disdain, "Then don't behave like crap. Going around, flirting with tools like him, while you're with me, whore."

"Woe, woe, woe," I said, taking a step forward. "Don't shame her and call her names, just because you messed up. Like you always do in life."

He grinned, "Oh? The white knight has spoken," he announced in a mocking tone, spreading his arms out. "Tell your friend to delete his browsing-history after using a public computer."

Not gonna lie, I lost my cool and was very close to shitting my pants.

Lillith frowned in confusion, "What are you talking about?"

"You brought a fucking corpse back to life, didn't you?" he spat. "I don't know how you fuckin' weirdos did that and frankly, I don't care. All I have to do is go the police, so they can fucking arrest you motherfuckers, after doing some DNA tests on her."

"What is he talking about, Cory?" I heard Lillith scream in panic. "What the hell! Oh my god, oh my god..."

But all I could do was stare at him, as the world around me faded.

"What do you want?" I asked calmly.

No point in denying it.

I heard Lillith's sobs in the background, but to me they sounded so far away.

His expression turned into a twisted smile.