Confessions

"She is not your sister. Why did you lie to me?"

It was the first time I had seen Lillith hurt.

"Did I say step-sister?" I acted confused. "I meant sister-in-law."

"Cory," she said in a slightly deeper voice, her features getting darker. "You're an only child."

I let my shoulders fall in surrender, "You talked to Seth."

She got louder, "And you're still lying shamelessly right into my face!"

"I'm sor --"

"No, sorry won't cut it!" she told me, putting her hands on her hips. "Tell me the truth, or whatever this is between us, is over."

I didn't feel ready for that. And seeing her this upset, made me feel guilty.

"Look --" I started softly.

"I can't believe you! After seeing what I've been through with Seth and all those other jerks, you make me question my trust to you? I seriously thought, you were better than this, Cory..."

There were tears in her eyes, but she turned her head to the side. She didn't want me to see, and I tried to respect that. Although I never would have thought that this would hurt her so bad.

"If I told you, people would end up in prison," I said. "I shouldn't even tell anyone this much, but I'm telling you. So please try to understand me and don't be upset."

After all, we had defied the law and the laws of nature, by bringing Ruth back from the dead.

She still wouldn't look at me. Her glassy eyes were fixed on the floor.

"Hey," I said softly. "Please. Don't be sad. If I could tell you, I would. Lillith, you know I care about you."

"Well yeah?" She said, finally facing me. "What if I tell you, that that's not enough?"

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion.

"I'm in love with you, you big dumb idiot!"