No Wallflower

Seth held his jaw. His eyes filled with shock, before anger overcame them.

I, myself was also in shock. Ruth was a savage - and I mean it in the best way possible. She wasn't just some damsel in distress, a wallflower. She had much more depth. There was something heroic beating in her chest. She would truly protect the ones she cared about, and I think, that was the moment when I came to realization that I liked her. A lot.

She shook her fist, wincing a bit.

His fucking no good face hurt her hand. For that, I should have punched him again, and I was about to do exactly that, when Ethan and Max ran over to us. Dakota was about to follow, but Max motioned for her to stay where she was.

Then it hit me, he was in the middle of calling her the n-word. That's when I snapped completely and stepped forward angrily, I caught him stepping away. The guys held me back, each on one side.

"Lemme set this motherfucker straight!" I snarled. "Don't ever call her that again, or I swear on my life, I will fuck you up!"

And I would. These weren't empty threats. I would protect her with my life. I meant it.

He narrowed his eyes at me. "You are going to regret this so fucking badly - both of you!"

"Yeah?" I chuckled angrily. "Fuckin' try me then, I dare you! And you won't harm a hair on her head if you don't want yours snapped in two!"

"Leave!" Ethan told him angrily, as Seth was glaring back at me.

The moment he turned around and walked off, I turned to Ruth, who was still holding her fist, "You okay?"

We had made a scene in front of people.

"I am fine, thank you," she assured me. "What about you?"

She cared. She genuinely cared. Her warm eyes looked concerned for me. It... was so touching.

I smiled, "Me too."

"I need to somehow send this guy to Mars," I heard my best friend mumble. "It wouldn't be that inhumane. He has got chances of survival on Mars, given that he has the right supplies with him that is."

I agreed, "Good thinkin'."

"Okay," Dakota had snuck up on us from behind. "That's enough for today. Let's head back."

"Pretty sure we'll soon get kicked out anyway," Max snorted.

"I had hoped I could walk back to the dorms," Ruth admitted. "I could use some fresh air right now. Plus I'd like to explore the city, if that is okay."

She liked taking walks. When it came to Ruth, I always made mental notes - I tried to remember every little detail about her, hoping, that some day I would complete the puzzle and understand her the way that no one else ever did.

"Are you sure? It's pretty damn late," Dakota reminded her. "Probably not the best time to wander around."

"It's fine, I'll show her around," I said, giving Ruth a smile. She returned it shyly, and I was still trying to figure out how she could be adorable, and at the same time a fighter.

I walked her around our town. Showed her shops and many hotspots. After a while of window shopping, we decided to visit this little café.

"Thank you so very much for showing me around," Ruth said with a huge smile. "A lot has changed over the curse of time."

"So you actually remember how the town used to be?" I was astonished. She began to remember more and more each passing day.

The waitress came with our drinks and I thanked her quickly.

"Yes," she said. "The town used to be somewhat filthy. Many little, narrow shops. I like it much better now."

I smiled comfortingly, "It's crazy how we don't get to meet people because they live far far away or because they live in a different time as we do."

"Well I am no Elvis, but I hope that you are still happy to have met me. I admit, Cory, I am beyond happy and honored to have met you," and as she spoke, I saw her cheeks gain another color.

But for me it was more like having won the lottery. Now that I had her with me, I wouldn't give her back.

"Very," I answered.

She smiled at me with those rosy cheeks, squirming a little in her seat. I chuckled at her cute reaction. "Ruth, you're blushing," I told her, knowing that it would probably make her even more nervous.

"Cory!" she complained, chuckling herself nonetheless.

She asked me about Seth, and I told her what had happened between him and Lillith and how he blamed me for all of it. We finished our drinks, paid and left. I insisted on paying for her, but she was so proud of having earned her own money as a tutor, that she ended up paying for herself and for me. I bought her a stuffed animal - a penguin. She had told me one time that those were her favorite animals. I said that I did it, so that we would be even. But thruth be told, I actually also did it, because seeing her happy made me happy, and I'm a pretty selfish dude.

As we walked over this bridge, which offered a beautiful sight of the whole city, Ruth stopped, taking in the amazing scenery. She held the penguin close to her chest.

I smiled to myself and stood next to her.

"This is amazing," she said.

"Right?"

"The uh, Thompson bridge is my favorite bridge. It was built in 1899," I told her.

Ruth was stunned, "Oh, wow, you know so much about these landmarks!"

"Yeeeeah," I scratched the back of my head. "I actually just read it off the sign right there," I admitted, pointing at it.

She shook her head, a smirk plastered on her full lips. And then she turned her head back at the city lights.

"I love the moon," she said.

"We have already landed on it." 

And just like that, I had blown her mind. Her dark sparkling eyes went big, her mouth wide open. The thought that I could kiss her at that moment, wouldn't leave my mind.

"Really?" she almost jumped up.

I laughed at her excitement, "Yeah."

"Oh my! How is it up there? We need to watch documentaries on this. Please, Cory, please," she rambled on, which made me laugh even more. She took my hands in hers, jumping up and down now.

That's when my phone went off and I got a message from Lillith, telling me that we needed to talk. So Ruth and I decided to head back. She rambled on about the moon, asking me a bunch of questions. I didn't mind. I loved this girl's company.