The First Day

I feel like I might need to reiterate something. Tom will be out of character but will still be closed-off, for now. That is on purpose and he is a hard character to write for! So as long as you guys understand that, you will enjoy this story more.

Always feel free to leave feedback/ ask questions/ etc.

Happy reading!

7| the first days

The next morning Tom woke to the sounds of birds chirping and soft sunlight. From the position of the sun he could tell it was quite early, too early for a normal teenager to be up during the summer. Then again he wasn't normal and he had always been an early riser. This time of the morning is calmer and quieter, which he preferred. Thinking back over his time at school, he was always ready for the day well before his peers. This allowed him to read in peace or complete his 'research' often without interruption and not to the knowledge of anyone else from his house. Even in the orphanage he awoke before the time the children were suppose to; the only time he could really have to himself until the others bothered him. At least now he was in a decent place and won't have to deal with muggles.
Good riddance to that awful place.

Sitting up, Tom took a moment to compose himself before rising and dressing for the day. His outfit choice was, as usual, black dress pants and a white button-up shirt. He rolled up the sleeves to his elbows and slipped on his black uniform shoes. The room had gotten a slight chill to it from the window sitting open over night and the sheer curtains were swaying in the gentle morning breeze. Tom closed the latches on the window before deciding to go downstairs. In the hallway he could hear sounds coming from downstairs and the farther he went down the stairs the sounds became clearer. He realized they were coming from the kitchen and his suspicion was confirmed when he stood in the kitchen doorway. Gwen was moving around with her back still to him, preparing what he assumed to be tea. He cleared his throat to gain her attention.

Gwen turned around, "Oh Tom! I didn't hear you come down." She turned back around and placed the now full tea kettle on the stove to heat. "I hope you slept well?"

Tom took a few steps into the kitchen and put his hands in his pockets, "Yes I did surprisingly." He watched Gwen take out three cups and placed them on the counter. "Thank you for allowing me to stay with you again."

"Oh it's no problem really." Gwen turned back to face Tom wiping her hands on a towel, "I assume you'd like some tea, right?" Tom nodded in response. "Perfect. I will finish preparing the tea and let you know when it's done. Ava's just outside on the porch if you'd like to join her."

"Ava is awake?"

Gwen smiled, "Oh yes, Ava and I are the first ones up usually. Sometimes she even beats me to it." She hung up the towel before continuing, "I'm glad we have someone else to join us early birds."

Tom gave a small smile. He looked out the kitchen window to see that Ava was in fact sitting outside. "I think I will join Ava outside then. If you'll excuse me."

When Gwen gave him a small nod and smile, Tom made his way to the french doors that lead out to the backyard. He quietly closed the doors behind him and looked over at Ava to notice she was reading. She looked up when she heard the door latch and gave him a welcoming smile. Ava was sitting on a swing chair made from white-painted metal and soft, pale linens. She had her legs tucked underneath her body and was covered in a heather gray blanket, her book now placed on her lap. It appeared to Tom as though she had been there for a while.