Turning Point

I have to confess that I was conflicted on how to end this chapter. You'll see what I mean when you get to the end. I also believe this is the longest chapter so far.

Listen: For One Moment by Lee Hazlewood

32| turning point

The bed was softer, which was causing Ava to struggle with waking herself up. For once she slept wonderfully. She hadn't been able to get this comfortable in the dorm beds for some time. It was also quiet unlike usual with her dorm mates. Instead of questioning it, Ava rolled over and decided to take advantage of the change. Taking a deep breath, Ava suddenly became aware of a different scent. It was mint whereas her lilac lotion normally filled her senses. Then her original thought since waking came back. Why was the bed softer?

Ava slowly opened her eyes and was brought to the realization that she wasn't in her bed. She was staring at the wall opposite of where she was laying on her side. There was a slightly covered window showing the depths of the lake. That's when everything came back to her and she shoved the covers off herself to sit up. Her heart stuttered when she saw Tom standing in front of the mirror in the corner of the room. He was already in his uniform.

"I was wondering when you would wake up."

Ava cleared her throat and quickly ran her hands through her hair to make sure it didn't look like a complete mess. "What time is it?"

"Still early," Tom said softly as he finished fixing his tie. "You have plenty of time to pull yourself together for classes."

Ava nodded even though she knew Tom wasn't looking at her. "I'm sorry for falling asleep last night like that." Her face grew warm in embarrassment thinking about putting him in that position. "You should have just kicked me out so you could've had your bed."

"I didn't mind."

"Oh," Ava said with a bit of surprise. "Either way, don't be afraid to tell me to leave next time."

Tom sighed and moved away from the mirror. His tie was perfectly straight and tucked under his vest. "After what happened yesterday, it seemed wrong to force you out." He clasped his hands together behind his back and watched Ava get up. She started to fix the bed which elicited another sigh from him. "You don't need to do that. You've already done enough by helping me put the room back together last night."

Ava stopped as she pulled the comforter over the pillows with a small laugh. "It's not really a difficult task." She looked at Tom to see him shrug. "Am I not doing it to your standards or something?"

"I would prefer to do it myself is all."

Ava raised her brows and lifted her hands up. "I didn't realize you were so particular about making your bed." Ava backed away from the bed and crossed her arms.

Tom let out a breathy laugh. "One of my many quirks."

"Got it," Ava said with an amused smile. "Well with that, I'm going to go get ready for the day. See you in a bit." She shook her head at him and left his room.

Tom rolled his eyes at her once she turned her back. He genuinely felt more comfortable fixing his bed himself, he was the one that knew how to do it exactly right. But he appreciated the thought. Considering she had fallen asleep in his bed and taken up the left side where he usually migrated to, it made sense for her to want to clean up. He knew he couldn't let her however. She had spent quite some time the previous night fixing his room after his outburst. As the gentleman Tom felt he should be, he imply couldn't let her do even more. But it was entertaining to watch.