The Truth

Hello! I know, I know. It's been way too long since the last update. But between work, being sick, and losing a family pet, I haven't been motivated to write recently. But I hope this chapter is well worth the wait for you guys.

Listen: The End by The Doors
(Trust me, this sets the mood for the entire chapter)

43| the truth

After another few weeks of officially being with Tom, Ava came to terms with her situation. Finally she found peace within herself and was able to relax. The dreams still haunted her on occasion but were mostly gone. It made a world of difference to be able to sleep soundly without her doubts eating away at her. Thankfully Tom didn't ask her about her odd behavior. In fact, he seemed to avoid delving into any morally taxing conversations with her.

Ava had noticed that after her minor emotional upset, Tom had been very careful about what he said around her. She didn't know if perhaps he knew why she'd been struggling or if he just didn't want to ruin what they just started. Either way she was alright skipping over it.

Now that her personal life was figured out, Ava had to step into her role as quidditch captain. It would seem that while she's been distracted some of the rowdier members of her team have forgotten to behave themselves. One of them was in danger of being taken off the team for picking on some poor second year. So now she has to meet with Headmistress McGonagall to try to work it out. They couldn't afford to lose anyone now that they've made so much progress as a team.

So one day after classes, Ava was asked to see McGonagall. Shortly after dinner she excused herself from her friends and made her way to the headmistress's office. The headmistress had left half-way through dinner, which she didn't really think twice about at first. That is, until she got to her office and could hear voices.

Ava wasn't one to eavesdrop, but when she recognized Harry's voice she froze. And unfortunately she had already pushed the door open slightly. McGonagall had mentioned in her note to just go in, so she wasn't exactly in the wrong. Then Dumbledore's voice could also be heard. That meant it was an important conversation and she most definitely should not be listening. But then she heard Tom's name being mentioned.

"Do think it would be a good thing for Riddle to find out about this?"

That was McGonagall and she was quickly answered by Harry. "No professor. This could possibly set him off and we don't need that."

"Or it could prove to him that making the right choices is the path he needs to take," McGonagall argued.

"Unfortunately Minerva," Dumbledore interjected, "Tom is not one to take matters such as this so lightly." There was a pause. "Especially when it comes to his free will."

Ava was confused by that statement. But Harry elaborated enough for her to understand. "That is exactly why he shouldn't know about what you knew Professor." It sounded like McGonagall scoffed. "If he knew that all of this was meant to happen he'd lose it," Harry responded defensively.

"Yes, but how could you not tell this boy that his return was predicted?"

Dumbledore tisked at McGonagall's abrasiveness. "For the simple reason that he could switch back to his old ways."

"That is highly presumptuous Albus."

"Tom simply can not find out that I knew of his revival," Dumbledore declared.