The Object

Alright, this is the last chapter before Tom's trial begins. There will be a little time skip between this chapter and the next because his trial takes place sometime in July. Currently its June in the story, but I want to get to his trial because I can't wait anymore haha I also feel like it's been pushed off long enough and you all want him to go back to Hogwarts already 😉

Let's get to this!

✌🏼

Listen: boum-Charles Trenet
(I recently watched Skyfall and this song was stuck in my head)

17| the object

"Well? Why do you have this?"

Ava found it difficult to answer Tom's question. She hadn't said a word in the last few minutes since he first asked her. Instead, she just stared at him as he stared back at her. She let the silence hang between them before breathing out and sitting on her bed. Tom stood still, not wanting to move and lose his composure.

"It's hard to explain." Ava played with the end of her shirt and tried to avoid looking at him. She shifted in discomfort at his unwavering stare and bit her lip. Sighing, she slumped exasperated "would you just sit down? Your staring is getting on my nerves."

"Good." Tom stiffly sat on her bed facing her. "Perhaps that would encourage you to tell me the truth."

"You think I would lie to you?" At Tom's raised eyebrow, Ava rolled her eyes.

He was unimpressed by her diversion to answering his earlier question. He wasn't leaving until she told him everything. No matter how he got answers out of her, she wouldn't be able to keep all her secrets. "You have already." He leaned forward, not breaking eye contact with her once she looked at him. "No more secrets." She nodded. "Good. Now tell me everything."

Ava swallowed nervously, "well to start, I found that in my father's desk. That's what I found the other day, but I guess you knew that."

He nodded. He noticed right away when she hid what she found. She was clever and would have fooled anyone else. But not him. "You said you were looking for something for your mother."

"Yes, which obviously wasn't true."

"Your mother doesn't know of this then?"

Ava shook her head, "no." She looked down at the pendant that Tom still held tightly. "I doubt she knows he even has it." Her eyebrows quirked in confusion, "you know what it is?"

"Of course I do." Tom held the pendant up between them where they were both looking at it. "This is from my time, when a different dark lord was at large. Do you know who that was?"

"Grindelwald."

"So you can guess what this was for?"

"His followers, right?" Tom nodded. "But, that's not the only meaning behind this symbol." She reached forward, but stopped when Tom pulled back. "The deathly hollows."

"A fairytale? That's what you associated most with this?"

Ava frowned, "yes of course. The tale of the three brothers, which most people have heard or read." Thinking for a minute, her eyes widened slightly, "you've at least heard it right?"