The Wand Complex

So between struggling with inspiration and classes, there's been a delay in writing. I'm working on fixing it though. For some reason, listening to Marilyn Manson's new album has helped..

✌🏻

Listen: You're Alive by Alexandre Desplat

20| the wand complex

The sound of chopping filled the kitchen and was the only thing breaking up the silence. Ava and her mother were preparing dinner by hand for the first time in a while. Ava enjoyed cooking with her mother; watching her move around the kitchen was like a dance. Her mother preferred to do simple tasks like that without magic and she admired that. Gwen was chopping the carrots for the soup that was part of their meal. She placed Ava in charge of getting everything set out on the table. While Ava was preoccupied, Gwen thought of a way to bring a topic up.

Gwen slowed her chopping and casually said, "I haven't had the chance to bring it up because of everything going on. But your father told me something interesting a while back."

Ava paused as she was placing a bowl on the table. She looked over at her mother, "oh?"

"He mentioned something about your grandfather I believe." Gwen glanced at Ava over her shoulder.

"He did?" Ava slowly turned around to see her mother studying her.

Gwen nodded. "I know you're a curious girl sweetheart, but going through your father's desk?" She kept her eyes on Ava as she busied herself with the dishes. "I don't even care about what you were looking for. But, I do hope you're okay after what you were told."

Ava looked up at her mother, "how long did you know?"

"Since the day you talked to your father." Gwen leaned against the counter and folded her arms. "I'm just struggling to understand why you decided to look through his desk." She sighed when Ava only shrugged, "you've never done something like that before."

"I was seeing if I could find anything from the Ministry." Noticing her mother's questioning look, Ava was quick to continue. "Things were taking so long for Tom, I wanted to know why. Then I found the deathly hallows pendant and Tom walked in on me."

Gwen raised an eyebrow and smirked. "Oh so Tom was involved in this as well."

Ava cleared her throat, "only after I told him." She looked away from her mother and studied the floor. "After he found it in my room."

"So," Gwen said after a second, "he got involved with this little scheme of yours after he looked through your room." Ava opened her mouth to retort, but she couldn't think of an answer. "You two have an odd relationship."

Making an indignant sound, Ava looked at her mother in surprise. "What do you mean by that?" She hoped her mother wasn't implying anything by that statement.

"Oh nothing." Gwen turned away from her to busy herself with the food again. "You two have gotten rather close it seems. I'm not surprised that he was involved with that is all."

"It just happened. He found out on his own." Ava grabbed the bowl her mother handed her and placed it on the table. "I wasn't even sure I was going to tell him about it."