A Moral Paradox

Hello! So my stories are connected in a way, but I've always said you can read them separately. But this is a rare occasion where you might want to refer to the other story. If you want to read Tom and Liam's meeting with Snape, go to chapter 40 of She Healed Me.

Also, this is being posted earlier than expected in celebration of my birthday. Here's to being 24 🥂

Listen: Tristan und Isolde: Liebestod (orchestral) by Richard Wagner

42| a moral paradox

Tom had never been called into a professor's office when he was previously a student. At least it was never to receive a punishment. So it was rather unnerving when both him and Liam were asked to see Professor Snape a few nights ago. Apparently word had gotten out about their confrontation with Rowan. They were issued a very firm warning to watch themselves going forward. Snape had reminded them that they represented their house in everything they do, and they were expected to behave as model students. Tom had mistakenly assumed things would be mostly normal after this initial meeting with Professor Snape. Of course he and Liam had begun their detentions, and would continue to do so for at least a month.

So perhaps it was an error on Tom's part to duel Rowan and injure him to the point of going to the hospital wing. He was already being targeted and he just gave Snape more ammo to use against him. With good behavior, aside from his recent transgression, he hoped that things could stay quiet for a while. But of course nothing could be that simple. Because apparently Snape decided to test him at the most inopportune of times.

They had been in Ancient Runes class that afternoon, nearly a week following Snape lecturing him, working on a project. Professor Ravenwood had given them each a rune to study and write an essay regarding it. She was giving them the entire class time to work on it while she graded their previous assignments. Ava and Tom worked silently next to each other, both making good progress, until their class was disturbed by the appearance of Professor Snape. Tom immediately went on edge when he saw the potions master.

Tom watched skeptically as Snape requested some runes book from Professor Ravenwood. He huffed at how ridiculous it was considering he could've gotten such a book from the library. Judging from Professor Ravenwood's own confusion, she came to the same conclusion. After a few minutes of quiet discussion, she was leaving the room. So this was only a ruse for Snape to get the class to himself. Feeling a nudge in his side, Tom looked at Ava to see her concerned gaze. She quirked a brow in question, her gaze jumping from him to Snape. He merely shrugged before turning to subtly track Snape while he paced the classroom.

After making a circle around the room, Snape stopped at the front to make his first move."Mister Riddle, I am surprised to see you in good spirits."

Tom paused his writing and slowly looked up. "Pardon me sir?"

Snape hummed as he placed his hands behind his back. "Considering your detentions with Mister Carsen, I would think you would be less alert."

So that was his angle. "I think I can manage, sir."

"Is that so," Snape asked.

"Liam and I are fine attending your detentions," Tom responded briskly.

"Clearly."

Tom held Severus's gaze determinedly. He could feel the other students getting uncomfortable. "Is there a reason why you ask, professor?" He purposely used Snape's title in a derogatory way, knowing it would anger him.

"I care for the well being of all the students in my house," Snape stated monotonously.

Such a lie. "You seemed very concerned when one of your students was attacked and you didn't care to find out who did it."