Threats & Confessions

All I can say about this chapter is it's fun and a little disjointed. But guess who's back in this one?

Listen: Bye Baby by Lee Hazlewood

30| threats & confessions

Ava had been having an odd day. Not to say the whole week following the accident was all that normal. That particular day felt off to her the minute she stepped foot in the common room. Thankfully, she returned back to her usual under-the-radar presence. But there was something just not sitting right with her no matter what she did to distract herself. The flirting between Mia and Liam was more noticeable than usual, Allison seemed more stressed, and Tom had stuck close to her all day. She wasn't paranoid per say, just hyper-aware.

What happened that afternoon only made this worse. It was difficult for her and Allison to focus in Ancient Runes, and Tom had even joined in when they joked about other students. Mia was less than thrilled to deal with them. Then Professor Ravenwood let them out of class early for once. When Allison was trying to explain to Mia what made a story she told so funny, Ava didn't comment like she usually would. Tom surprisingly tolerated Allison to the point of also explaining to Mia. It was when they were walking, Ava realized she forget something in class.

Ava sighed and got the others' attention. "I forgot my book for Ancient Runes in the classroom." She backed away and moved to the side to avoid other students. Before any of them could offer to go with, she said, "I'll just run back quick. Catch up with you in a bit?"

"Don't take too long, we need to study for transfiguration." Mia was the only one to verbally respond to Ava.

Allison rolled her eyes. "Oh, relax. She's just grabbing her book."

Ava laughed a bit at them. "Give me five minutes ok?" She didn't wait for a response and shared a quick glance with Tom before making her way back to the Ancient Runes classroom.

Ava was only acknowledged by a few students as she walked by, which was fine with her. She didn't need anything else to add to her already weird day. It was hard to believe she even forgot something in the first place, it was unusual for her. But at least they hadn't gotten too far away for her to run back. She hoped Lucia was still there, especially now that all of the students were gone from that corridor. As Ava got closer, she heard voices. She stopped briefly thinking it was coming from the Ancient Runes classroom. When she didn't hear anything again she went up to the door to see it closed. There was a small noise then, so she figured Lucia was still inside. Shaking her head, Ava slowly pushed open the door.

"I'm sorry Lucia, but I think I forgot.." Ava didn't finish her sentence out of shock once she saw inside the room. Lucia and Professor Snape were together, in a rather compromised position from what she could tell.

Lucia had quickly put distance between herself and Professor Snape. She flashed an uneasy smile. "Ava, what did you say you needed?"

Ava looked between the two professors. "I think I left my book here." She didn't really want to say anything about what was obviously happening before she came in.

"Oh, of course," Lucia said after checking the desk Ava was in during class.

Ava quietly went up to grab her book. She looked between her godmother and her potions professor again in apprehension. "I'm guessing this never happened right?"

Lucia nodded with an appreciative smile. "Yes, nothing happened."

"Merely two professors having a chat about classes." Ava was surprised when Professor Snape threw that in.

Ava nodded and turned around to leave. She couldn't help what came out of her mouth next. "I don't think this would be a bad thing to get out however." She had to tease her godmother while she could.