Diagon Alley

So I've decided to write sections at a time from now on. This way I'm writing when I have the inspiration and the chapters come out better. I'm pretty happy with the last chapter so we're going to try this method for a bit.
(Sorry if it's messy)

✌🏻

Listen: the grass roots-let's live for today

21| diagon alley

August

The following days remained tense after Tom and Ava's altercation. Tom had gone back to isolating himself to his room, only coming out for meals. Ava hardly spoke to him and she could tell it was starting to bother him. She was going to see how long it took for him to break down. He was expecting her to speak first. Yet after three days Ava was still silent. The lack of interaction between her and Tom caught the attention of her family as well. Gwen watched as Ava walked past Tom in the kitchen without acknowledging his presence each morning. She didn't say anything, only giving him a questioning look. Her and the others knew not to get in the middle.

This morning wasn't any different. Gwen was preparing tea while Tom was at the table with Lizzie. As soon as he was done in the kitchen, he would go back to his room as he had the last few weeks. At the moment, Lizzie was busy talking his ear off. This caused Gwen to smile, seeing the discomfort he was in. She knew Tom could barely handle Lizzie's chatter.

As Gwen set the tea kettle on the table, Ava entered the kitchen. They exchanged 'good mornings' and Gwen watched as Ava brushed past Tom. She ruffled Lizzie's hair and grabbed a cup for tea. Gwen noticed Tom tense.

"How did you sleep sweetheart?" Gwen asked this gently when she caught Tom studying Ava.

Ava made her cup of tea and leaned against the counter. "Perfectly. I've been sleeping well the last few days actually." She met Tom's eyes and took a sip of her tea as she said this.

Tom's jaw clenched, not enjoying her indirect jab at him. He held her gaze until they heard Gwen clear her throat. Tom looked down at the table before making his own cup. He didn't notice that Ava hadn't looked away first.

"Well, that's good." Gwen attempted to not let the awkwardness reach her voice, but it couldn't be helped. She didn't like seeing the two like that with each other. "Tom, what about you? Have you been resting well?"

Tom looked at Gwen and gave a half smile. "I've slept just as well, perhaps better than I have before." He glanced at Ava again with a small smirk playing at the corner of his mouth.

She rolled her eyes subtly and finished her tea. She talked to her mother about school supplies for the upcoming term. Lizzie was rattling off questions throughout the conversation. Ava was now sitting at the table across from Tom, but she purposely avoided looking at him. After some time they both reached for the kettle at the same time and met eyes.

Ava pulled her hand away, "Go ahead."

Tom pushed the kettle towards her. "By all means, you can go first."

Ava almost insisted on him taking it, but decided to bite her tongue. "Alright, fine. Thank you." She pursed her lips at his smirk.

They were silent then until Gwen interrupted. "So Tom, do you feel better having your wand back now? I can understand the relief."