Chapter One- Lost

"Mom, tell me the story of the Little Lost Bantha Cub."

Her daughter was over twenty years old by now, but Leia Organa Solo, former Chief of State of the New Republic, didn't object to Jaina's request.

"After the sandstorm that drove him from home, The little lost bantha cub wandered alone."

Boy, could Jaina relate to that!

"So he walked, and he walked through the desert heat till noon,
When he found a Jawa sandcrawler upon a sandy dune.
"I am lost," said the bantha cub, "Please help me find my herd."
But the little Jawas shook their heads and gave their final word."

Jaina felt like crying as the familiar words thrummed against her brain, like the rhythm of a childhood song. She lay on the couch in her parents' sitting room, her head lying on Leia's lap.

"So he walked, and he walked till he met a shiny droid.
After walking by himself so long, the cub was overjoyed.
"I am lost," said the bantha cub, "Please help me find my herd."
"I am not programmed to help you," said the droid, "Don't be absurd."
The droid kept walking straight ahead, not looking left or right.
The bantha cub just watched until the droid was out of sight."

Faces flashed through Jaina's mind with horrifying clarity as Leia stroked her hair, gently picking apart the sweaty tangles.

Chewbacca. Anakin. Lusa. Aunt Mara.

Jacen...

"So he walked and he walked and the sun was very hot,
But then he came upon a moisture farmer tending to his crop.
"I am lost," said the bantha cub, "Please help me find my herd."
"I am busy," said the farmer, "And I must not be deterred."
So the cub continued walking, feeling tired, sleepy, slow.
If he didn't find his herd soon, he didn't know where he would go."

Jaina squeezed her eyes shut. Her mother's voice was nearly drowned out by the sound of laser fire and energy swords buzzing a centimeter from her ear. Leia felt the warm drops land on her lap, and resisted the urge to cry herself. She had to be strong for her daughter.

Her last child.

Still, Leia continued.

"But there before him was a dragon, standing proud and straight and tall.
"I have lost my family!" cried the cub. "Will you help me find them all?"
"I will eat you," purred the dragon, then he lunged with snapping jaws!
So the bantha cub began to run without the slightest pause.
When he had run quite far away, he flopped down in the sand-"

Jaina screamed out a sob, pulling herself away from her mother and hiding her face in her hands.

"I did that, I did that," she gasped, disbelief and fear etched into her voice.

"Shh, shh, hush, my dear," Leia whispered, pulling Jaina back to her. In the other room, she felt Allana and Han's presence, the two of them trying to offer what little comfort they had to each other in the wake of this terrible tragedy.

"Do you want to hear the ending?" Leia asked, resting her chin atop Jaina's head.

Still sobbing, Jaina shook her head. "What's the point?"

Leia recited it anyway, and Jaina could hardly object.

"But out of the sky there suddenly came a most familiar hand!
It was a Tusken Raider, and one he knew on sight. Could he help him find his family? The cub prayed that he might.
The raider led him through the dunes and they traveled very fast.
And soon they found his family, so the cub was safe at last!"

Han stood in the doorway now, listening with Allana half-asleep in his arms. Jaina's sobs quieted as Leia rocked her back and forth. Leia Organa Solo choked on her words as she finished the story, wishing so desperately that Jaina wasn't the only child that she held in her arms.

"The moral of this story is that, even when you're on your own,
Just find a friend to help you, and you'll never be alone."

-------

Hours later, Jaina awoke, her favorite blanket draped over her shoulders. The room was dark. The others were asleep. 

The door to Allana's room was open, or rather, Jaina's former room. Jaina had a new sister, she wasn't complaining. Besides, Jaina didn't use the room anymore.

Jaina smiled at Allana as her breathing stirred her hair; a dark dye fading to a red-gold color at the roots.

Something at Jaina's foot beeped, and she looked down at B-88, the droid she had created.

"I'm fine, Bee," she promised. With sore muscles, Jaina closed the door to Allana's room, turning to look out the window.

Lights from Corasaunt's flying traffic filtered through the window shutters, zigzag patterns of light appearing and disappearing on the floor in moments. 

"I can't stay here anymore," Jaina croaked out after a long moment of silence.

Bee hummed sadly as Jaina grabbed her belt and cloak, shoving both into her small travel bag. They were on the move again. 

The two exited the apartment quietly, trying not to wake the rest of the Solo family. They ran through the hallways of the Corasaunt royal apartments, heading for the docking bays on the lower floors.

There was her X-wing. Her very own X-wing, the one she'd earned on her own flying in Rogue squadron with her family's old friend, Wedge Antilles. 

Obediently, Bee sealed himself in the droid port, ready to work repairs and any other assistance Jaina would need.

"Bee, set a course for Ossus, the Jedi Homeworld." Jaina said, pulling her cockpit down. "X-wing to traffic control, this is Jaina Solo."

"This is traffic control, you are clear for takeoff, Miss Solo."

How badly Jaina needed to hear those words.

"You all set back there, Bee?" She asked as the hangar doors opened up to the Corasaunt night. Bee beeped a confirmation.

Jaina pressed her ship as fast as she dared in a trafficked area, and once the atmosphere was cleared, her ship shot into hyperspace.

At least this time she knew where she was going.