Chapter Thirty- Recovery

Apparently I can only work on this mess of a fic while I listen to One Direction ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Whadya know???

"Hey, Jay," Hal sat next to her on the bed, grinning. Carol stood behind him. She'd finished pretending that everything was going to be okay long ago

"Hey," Jaina stared behind him.

Hal held out his fist, showing her the faintly glowing shards.

"Guy collected these from the Reach ship. Your friend Power Ring told us what happened, but no worries! I'll stop by Oa on my way back to Rimbor and the Guardians'll fix it right up. You'll be back in business as a GL again in no time!"

"Great," Jaina turned her head to the side to try and go back to sleep.

Hal frowned. He thought she would at least be happy to see him, or to get her ring back, one or the other. He shrugged at Carol, and she shook her head. They moved to the doorway, and even though she was trying to sleep, Jaina heard them.

"It's the blood loss. Midnite doesn't think she'll last very long."

"What about Manhunter? Didn't Miss M give Beast Boy a blood donation."

Carol grunted a negative, "They tried that already, even after everything had calmed down and they could focus. There's something..." Jaina could feel their eyes on her, "Something in her bloodstream. Something the Martians have never seen before. She's an alien too, after all."

"Midi-chlorians," Jaina murmured under her breath. Hal and Carol apparently didn't hear her.

Jaina heard Carol's defeated sigh, like Mom when Borssk Fey'la was acting up again. "They're trying, but they can't replicate it. And if they try to give her any faulty blood..." She didn't dare finish that sentence.

"She's on adrenaline boosts for now, but...she's running out of time."

Jaina heard a smooch. "I'll see if I can get any other help from the Guardians." Hal promised.

She felt the bed sink down, and Hal brushed her bangs from her eyes.

"Love ya, Jaina," Hal tried to get her to smile one more time.

Jaina blew a raspberry. "Love you too."

Batman had returned home as well, much to Jaina's dismay, and he insisted on trying to move forward as if Jaina wasn't slowly dying, soon to follow Wally and everyone else she'd loved into the afterlife.

"You can't block everything out forever, Green Lantern." Batman said. His presence cast a shroud over the hospital room that deepened the sense of despair that already penetrated every corner.

Though she was still basically strapped to the bed, Jaina gave an unladylike snort, and Black Canary sighed. She had grown a handful of silver strands in her otherwise blonde hair since Jaina had first met her.

"Yeah, like I'm going to take advice from a mentally disturbed guy dressed up in a suit looking like some nocturnal rodent. Talk about the blind leading the blind."

Batman's eyes narrowed. "You had already developed several destructive habits in the years since you first came to Earth, and since you refuse to talk about your experiences then, I won't intrude-" Black Canary rolled her eyes, "-but your teammates are concerned that the death of Kid Flash will push you over the edge. You cannot be a hero if you don't watch yourself."

"Oh really? Who's gonna keep me in line? The police?" Jaina found the sudden strength to sit up and glare at Batman.

Batman glared right back, "You won't be able to stay on this team if you keep going off to drink and fight every time something goes wrong."