Chapter Thirty-Six- The Blackest Night

The new goal: To finish POTJ by Christmas. Only a few more chapters to go!

Okay, so this chapter does get into at least one in particular description of violence and gore. The Black Lanterns increase their power levels much like they do in the comics: by removing the hearts of their victims to use as fuel. I will mark that part for those who want to skip over that.

A stick-thin hand emerged from the dry ground, yanking on Beast Boy's twitching tail. Noticing it before anyone else, Jessica screamed and blasted it. It disappeared, only for a tar-like substance for pull itself back together, forming itself around a black ring. Gar leaped onto Superboy's shoulders for protection, even as Conner himself hopped from foot to foot to escape the reach of the brand-new Black Lanterns.

"How do we stop them?" Wonder Woman demanded of the Solos and Skywalkers. She lashed out with her golden lasso, but the Black Lanterns cast it aside with no regard whatsoever.

"You run?" Han drawled, shooting the Lantern that tried to drag him into the ground as well.

As the Black Lanterns trudged towards Allana, held tightly in Tenel Ka's arms, Leia spewed red-hot napalm at them, melting away the already decomposing bodies.

"Only a Lantern ring can have any effect on the Black Lanterns, and only by working together!" Jaina said, trying to remember how it had gone last time.

"Someone get me a ring! And make it red! I need to set something on fire!" Artemis screamed, continuing to shoot arrows at a Black Lantern that now resembled a porcupine.

Atrocitus grinned, "That can be arranged," He snapped his fingers, and the ring on Bleez's finger split in two, darting in Artemis's direction.

"No!" Jaina screamed in protest too late, as the ring bonded with Artemis's nervous system. As the archeress became slave to the rage in her heart, she tossed aside her crossbow and leaped on the Black Lanterns themselves.

"Sinestro!" Kaldur shouted, pausing his fight only to catch the attention of the Yellow Lantern's commander. 

"Give me a yellow ring, now!" 

Sinestro sighed, entirely bored with the whole thing as another yellow ring formed in the palm of his hand, "Normally, I would request you say please, but as we are in the middle of a firefight..." He flicked the ring in Aqualad's direction with a casual air. 

"Kaldur'ahm, you have the ability to inspire great fear. Welcome to the Sinestro Corps."

Jaina fought back tears. "Larfleeze, Indigo-1, Princess Aga'po! Lend me your rings!"

Though Larfleeze loudly complained, his ring obeyed Jaina's request, as did the ring of Princess Aga'po and the staff of the Indigo tribe.

M'gann received the Orange ring this time, the Indigo staff almost impaled Conner before forcing its way into his fists, and with Violet ring disregarded Zekk's grip on his finger to replace his black robes with pink.

Because of the increase in ranks, they were able to drive the growing numbers of Black Lanterns back from the excavation site, but they knew that behind the clouds could only be millions more Black Lanterns barely kept at bay by the rest of the Corps.

"Hal to Guy, What's your situation?" Hal shouted into his ring before decapitating another black lantern.

"Well what do you think it is, Poozer?" Guy snapped, "We're barely keepin' from gettin' killed up here! What's the next step in Jaina's plan, anyway? Just get the White Lantern and leave it for 'em to take?"