Chapter Twenty-Four- Dread

Ugh, sorry, had to go back and rewatch season two for this XP Not that that's a bad thing, necessarily, I just had to make time to do it.

"I'm not so sure about this. Entering your mind...it...it's an intrusion."

Jaina fought the urge to glare at M'gann. Her friend was almost always so confident, especially in her Martian abilities. What had knocked her down to this?

"You have my permission." Green Beetle reminded her.  "We must be able to trust each other."

After a long night in the Kent barn, the team had transferred via bioship to Taos, New Mexico. There, the scientists at STAR Labs (and some of the League's own) could analyze the additive sample retrieved from the Lexcorp farms and the team could interrogate Green Beetle in a much safer area.

"There has to be a better way," Jaina heard Superboy hiss to Nightwing.

'Wing sighed, agitated. "Look, I don't know what the Martian ettiquete is, but Green Beetle is right. We need to trust each other, which means that we need to confirm that he is who he says he is. Miss M is our only real option."

Jaina swallowed an uncomfortable lump in her throat. She glanced across the room, where Jessica stood sandwiched between Impulse and Blue Beetle. Jaime had an arm around her comfortingly, and Bart was whispering jokes to her in an effort to make her laugh.

"I've got a bad feeling about this," She muttered to herself.

"Come on, Angelfish," La'gaan urged M'gaann kindly, "Reading this guy will be a piece of crab cake."

Finally, Miss Martian agreed.

"Green Beetle is on our side." She said after a moment's delve. 

Jaina's bad feeling grew worse. 

Green Beetle held up the bottles of a soft drink that Jessica and Impulse had snagged from Lexcorp, labeled with one word: "Reach".

"This consumable contains the Reach's additive," He nodded to the pink, pill-like sample that Robin held, "which combines microscopic quantities of two chemicals. One, a dopamine polymerase. The other, an adrenaline inhibitor. Taken over generations, they will slowly addict the entire population to Reach, making the people of Earth placid. Literally, incapable of revolt."

Jaina stared at her cup of crappy caff in shame. Nightwing nodded to Green Beetle. "That matches with what the Atom and Flash's analyses."

"Ah, I see," Green Beetle sounded a bit disappointed. "Still, I am tested."

Nightwing sighed for the umpteenth time. Jaina decided to gulp down the last of her cup anyway.

"Look, we're sorry, but-"

"No, it is wise." Green Beetle assured him pleasantly. "As they say on your world, all cards must be off the table."

Jaina snorted so hard, she thought she felt some caff coming out her nose.

"On the table!" Blue corrected callously. "I mean- nevermind, ignore me."

Jessica giggled. Just a little bit. Jaina felt the weight on her chest lift, just a little bit.

"On the table. Yes, that does make more sense," Green Beetle agreed thoughtfully. "So here is my final card, 'on the table.'

"My scarab informs me that the additive also contains a mitochondrial marker, which works as a metagene tracer, and allows the Reach to identify potential super-powered individuals."

"Making it easier to harvest and weaponize the metagene!" Nightwing finished. "Our analysis didn't reveal that!"

"Can't we go public with this?" Blue Beetle asked.