Chapter Twenty-Three- Fear

"She did what!?" Jaina shouted. 

She felt her fist tighten, her fingers longing to wrap around a hunk of space emerald that was no longer there. She missed the warmth of her ring, the constant reassurance that it provided, even the strange security of magical space spandex. 

Without her ring to provide her Lantern uniform, Jaina opted for a style similar to uncle Luke's. Black jacket, shirt, pants, and boots, with a belt to hold her lightsaber at her side. Along with a corellian blaster set to stun, just in case. She blamed her father for the habit.

Nightwing held up his hands, gesturing for Jaina to calm down as she felt Connor grip her shoulder in warning. 

"Robin assured me that all the cameras were taken out, so they don't have any evidence, but Jessica did lose control while they were fighting Black Beetle and took out about half of Lexcorp farms."

Though Lex Luthor did deserve that slight setback for allying himself with a bug-like alien race intent on taking over and enslaving the world. Jessica knew better. Jaina taught her better, she knew she had.

She struggled to calm herself, swallowing the yell before it forced itself out of her mouth.

"I take it you're headed there now?" She folded her arms tightly, nodding to the bioship the three had been walking towards.

"Yeah, Robin said they found an ally we need to meet." Nightwing all but skipped up the ramp, sliding into the captain's seat.

"What's up with M'gann? Where's she?" It was an open question, but Jaina directed it more so towards Superboy, who kept up his sabacc face and stared out the window. 

"She's been really tired lately," He said in a tone that didn't sound too convincing, "She said she'd be available if we really needed her, but I think we should let her rest."

Jaina huffed. No one gave her a straight answer about anything these days. Though she had faced him herself, Jaina knew that something was missing in the story of Kaldur and his betrayal.

"Tula was one of Kaldur's friends, right?" She asked suddenly, watching the lights of cities pass by in the dark abyss below.

She felt Nightwing and Connor watching her curiously. "Yeah, from Atlantis."

"Anyone else besides her and La'gaan?"

"Just one; her boyfriend, Garth."

"Hmm," She hummed to herself thoughtfully.

Nightwing took a gander at what she was thinking. "Kal had a crush on Tula when they were younger. He took it a bit hard after she and Garth started dating.

He set the bioship on autopilot and held his hands in his lap, rubbing them together.

"That was before Raquel, before he met you. When I saw the two of you together, I was really happy for him."

"After you left, he even told me that you made him forget about her for a while." Connor said.

"Okay, I get the picture, but you're talking about her as if she's nothing but a jerk that broke Kaldur's heart!"

"Sorry," Connor and Nightwing mumbled sheepishly. 

Jaina felt her cheeks flush red-hot in the cool cabin. She didn't realize that maybe, after all this time, she still might have feelings for Kaldur. And Jag. And Zekk.

She really needed to make her mind up.

"You're right, she was more than that." Nightwing agreed. "She was an incredibly talented Atlantean sorceress. Better than Kaldur, even. And an even better scholar. She corrected me on my mythos more times than I'd like to admit."