Chapter Sixteen- As Usual

THANKS FOR 2K

"Castle, this is tower. How's she doing?"

"Handles like a dream!" Jaina crowed, gently pushing the yoke of the all-new Shrike-class fighter jet forward, until it was as far as it could get. She couldn't believe how much had changed since she first rode a Ferris Aircraft jet. At Ferris, they were always creating something new, going bigger, better, faster, more powerful. And that was just fine with Jaina.

On the ground below, Jessica covered her ears as the jet roared above, but she couldn't help sneaking a glance or two out of one eye up at the jet carrying her mentor.

"She'll be just fine," Carol reached out to pat the nervous girl's shoulder, but thought better of it. "Jaina's the best pilot in the universe."

"I-I'm not worried," Jessica straightened up, forcing her arms down at her sides. Jaina had been surprised when Jessica suggested she come see Jaina at work, to learn how to deal with loud noises like Ferris Aircraft jets.

She jumped a foot in the air as Jaina broke the sound barrier. Carol smiled an held up her walkie talkie. "That's good for now Castle, bring her in."

Jaina screeched to a stop on the asphalt runway and leaped out of the cockpit before the ground crews could reach her.

"Think I could trade in my X-wing for one of these babies?"

"That's actually the only one we've got right now, but I might consider it if you let me and my people look over your hyper-light-speed drive." Carol offered, all business.

"Hyperdrive," Jaina corrected, wiping her forehead on the towel Jessica offered her. Bee ran between their legs eagerly, and Jessica knelt down to pat the strange droid's dome.

"You do know I'm being serious, right?" Carol said as the three started back towards the hangar. "If I suddenly got my hands on something like that, everyone would start making the connection between me and the JL."

"Not that they don't already do that because Green Lantern always manages to show up and save you at the last second," Jaina snickered.

Carol stuck out her bottom lip in mock deep thought. "Actually, Star Sapphire manages to save herself most of the time."

Jaina stopped in her tracks. "That son of a gundark lied to me!" She realized.

Carol laughed. "Hal has a habit of doing that, sweetie."

Jaina let herself laugh, too, but not for long. Laughing reminded her of Jacen too much. 

"Hey Jessica," she changed the subject, and Carol dashed off to file more paperwork, "do you still wanna go to Raquel's bridal shower?"

"Uh...yeah, why?" Jessica asked. Jaina almost jumped at the change in pitch Jessica made when asking her question.

"I, uh...just thought you might be a little overwhelmed from all the excitement and noise of the jets, I thought maybe you'd need a break." Jaina mumbled, wondering if her worries weren't appreciated.

Bee gave a low beep, and Jessica shook her head. "I think I can deal with it, so long as you're there. But..."

"Yeah?"

Jessica wrung her hands. "Can we stop by the mountain, just real quick? I wanna get a few minutes in the waterfall room."

"Sure!" Jaina smiled. "Whatever makes you feel better!"

"Can we bring Bee?"

Jaina hesitated. 

"You know what, sure. Yeah. The droid is coming with us."