Chapter Eighteen- Helpless

The glow of her ring faltered as she tried to focus it on Kaldur. Kaldur, of all people!

"Kal," Her voice cracked. After that, he seemed to avoid looking at her, instead glancing up at Blue Beetle, who had floated upwards for a vantage point to take on the former Aqualad and his mysterious ninja friend.

"This battle is over," He announced.

Jaina forced a laugh. It was too funny. "Why? Because you say so?" She snorted. "You've got alien smart-armor and the most powerful weapon in the universe pointed at you. You're not in a position to be giving orders."

"And you are not in a position to bargain, Jaina Solo." He said. Just the sound of her name, especially her last name, whispered from his lips made Jaina feel like she'd had the wind knocked out of her. 

Jaina glared at Kaldur, her face hot and threatening to spill her emotions all over the place, as he knelt on the floor to reveal the contents of the duffle bag on his shoulder.

"This is the same type of bomb that obliterated Malina Island. I am holding down the dead man's switch," Kaldur held up his fist, showing off just enough of the cylindrical remote for proof.

Jaina tried to grab it from him, but Kaldur held it out of her reach. "If my thumb comes off this switch- for any reason- Mount Justice falls." He nodded to the group on the floor. "With your experience and power, your ring would more than adequately shield yourself from the explosion, and perhaps Beetle's suit is enough to withstand it, but I doubt Nightwing and Impulse will be able to make it, or even Superboy. And what of your trainee?"

Jaina quickly looked over at Jessica, who began to come to with a whimper as she held her head.

"Would she have the concentration and willpower to save herself?"

Jaina hated how ruthless he sounded. She looked up at Jaime, both with the same helpless look, and raised her hands. 

"We're standing down," She growled, just before Tommy Terror got back up and snapped a collar around her neck. The glow of her ring went out completely, and she could no longer feel the familiar, sentient tingle in her arm that told her the ring was there, that it was alive.

Blue stood next to her, a collar around his neck, and helped Jessica up. The collar she was wearing had apparently shut off her connection to Volthoom's ring, which was not hissing or glowing as usual.

"Are you two okay?" She whispered, quickly wrapping her arms around them protectively.

"I'm fine," Blue mumbled, "I just wish I could've done more."

"My head hurts again." Jessica said blankly.

"It's okay," Jaina hugged Jessica tightly. "We're gonna be fine. We've been in tougher spots before, we'll get out. We always do."

Icicle Junior's whining brought her attention back to the five villains that had invaded the Cave. 

"Escort Impulse, Beast Boy, and Blue to the flyer," Aqualad instructed. 

Tuppence threw Beast Boy over her shoulder again, Tommy carried still-out Impulse, and Blue looked up at Green Lantern, as if asking permission to do what Aqualad said.

"Go, we'll be right behind you." Jaina promised quietly.

"What about the rest?" The ninja-girl asked, gesturing to Superboy and Nightwing. Connor was still out, but Nightwing was slowly getting back up again. Jaina pulled Jessica closer as her apprentice began to shake.

"As hostages here they have value here." Aqualad reasoned. "But Nightwing is an ordinary human-" Jaina snorted at that observation "-Superboy, a human-Kryptonian hybrid clone, and a Green Lantern's metagene is activated by their rings. Neither category is of any interest to our partner."