The Chase Ch. 21

Thad's P.O.V

                Ginger had stopped talking now and was beginning to cry softly. I wrapped my arms around her now and held her tightly to my chest.

“It’s okay Ginger,” I soothed while softly rubbing her back.

“No it’s not,” she sobbed into my chest, “Nobody wants me.”

“Obviously, that’s not true,”’ I said defiantly, “Everyone here cares about you, especially me.”

She kept crying silently against me for a while, but acted like she didn’t want to talk.

“Sometimes,” I said, feeling my thoughts drift off a little bit, “You have to move on, even if it is your family. If they didn’t want you, then you don’t even need them.”

“It feels like it’s more important than that…”

“I know,” I sighed as she looked up at me, “It just takes time, I guess.”

I looked at the tears glistening on her face and felt like I could feel her pain burning my chest. Using my fingers, I wiped the tears away from her cheeks. She turned her face away like she was embarrassed.

“I’m sorry,” she said, her voice barely a whisper, “I didn’t mean for you to see me cry.”

“Don’t be sorry,” I whispered back, “everybody cries sometimes.”

She offered me a soft smile, and a shrug that said she still wasn’t happy about letting herself cry in front me. I hugged her again and kissed her softly, chuckling at the familiar sound of her heart racing.

There was a light knock on the door and I moved Ginger from on top of me, shifting around so we were side by side. She looked a little confused, until I mouthed to her who it was.

“Come in!” she loud, but not so loud as to wake anyone who was sleeping. Donovan stepped cautiously into the room. I had heard him hovering at the door for a while, like he was scared to come in. At first he looked a little awkward, but he soon became very serious.

He cleared his throat “We’re going to have to get more supplies in the morning. We’re running really low on ammunition and a few other things.”

“Already?” Ginger groaned, sitting upright in the bed. Donovan nodded.

“Yeah, already. You know it takes a million hits just to put one of those things down.”

Ginger frowned slightly when Donovan referred to my kind as ‘things’, but it didn’t really bother me. It’s not like he had directly called me a ‘thing’.

“Okay, wake me up early in the morning and we’ll head out.” She nodded, clearly rushing him out. He nodded quickly again and turned to leave.

“Oh, and bloodsucker?” I looked up at him, even though he hadn’t called me by my name, “make sure you go easy on her tonight, I don’t want her broken tomorrow.”

Ginger shot him a poisonous look as he chuckled with satisfaction on his way out. When he was out of human hearing range, I rolled over pulled Ginger close to me.

“So, what did you mean just then by ‘we’.”

“I-oh,” she acted like something had just hit her, “I used to always be paired up with Donovan to go out and look for supplies,”

“So that means,” I said while nibbling at her ear, “That I could tag along?”

It wasn’t that I didn’t trust her, but just because I didn’t think anything would happen didn’t mean I wanted them alone together.

“Yes,” she said quietly. I could tell she was started to drift away. Her heart beat was slowing her breaths were becoming thicker and longer.

“Sounds good,” I smiled while kissing her jawline as she drifted away.

“Dream beautifully, Ginger,” I breathed into her ear.

“Night Thad,” she mumbled before passing out in my arms.