The Chase Ch. 36

Ginger’s P.O.V

               Silence... I was floating away from the world. I was so close, I could almost touch the light when someone or something grabbed me and forced me back down. I took a breath as if I'd been holding my breath the whole time. I was cold and then it was like I was taking a hot shower. The hot shower turned to boiling and burning; I screamed. My eyes felt glued shut and the screaming wouldn’t cease. I twitched but other than that I was unable to fully move.

               My throat ached with the effort it took to scream so loudly. Someone, anyone had to stop this burning.

               I felt a hand on my shoulder. Without thinking, my once immobile hand shot up and clutched the other person for dear life. A scream echoed back to me.

"GINGER!" It was Thad. "Let Donovan go!"

               I couldn't. I needed something, anything to hold on to. Someone forced my hand off Donovan and my screaming began anew.

"Is it broken?" I heard Donovan ask.

"Definitely," replied Thad.

               What was broken? Damn it, why wouldn't my eyes open? My heart faltered and completely stopped. Was I finally dead? No. The pain continued. I was slowly and excruciatingly being seduced into a black death. I felt death would be better that this burn that had spread throughout my body. What was this torture?

"Ginger, can you hear me?"

"Make...it...STOP!" I screeched.

"I can't. I don't have the right equipment. We have to take you back home alright?"

               I barely managed an "ok" and he scooped me up into his arms. We were going one hundred miles per hour most likely and yet the wind did nothing to cool the flames that had engulfed me. Thad informed me that we arrived and I was set on a table. I continued to scream over their hushed voices. Luke said something I didn't quite catch. Something about reading a book Emma bought him.

"If I can bring that back, will it help?" Thad inquired.

"It's the strongest stuff out there. It has to," Luke replied.

               There was a rush of wind. Someone was then stroking my hair. I felt tears sting at my eyes but wondered why they hadn't fallen yet. My voice was hoarse and my throat raw.

"I should do this while you're already in pain," said Luke.

What? Do what?

"Ready?"

For what?

               I felt a hard punch to my ribs and I cried out. He re-broke my rib.

"Sorry but it'll set wrong if I don't fix it."

               He pulled it out to its proper position then realized he'd have to hang onto it through my skin if it was to stay.

"I probably shouldn't have done that," Luke said. I could hear the nervous shuffle of his feet. "Sorry Ginger."

               Another rush of wind came. It was filled with the scent of...antiseptic. It burned my nose.

"What did you do?" asked Thad. 

"It was a mistake," said Luke, still holding my rib in place.

               I heard an angered sigh and then someone else was holding my rib. Seconds later something cold was flowing inside me. It didn't take away the burn; it covered it. The burn was still lurking in the shadows waiting to attack once more but for moment it was manageable. My screaming died down to a measly groan of pain. I was alright for now.

***

            It could’ve been hours or months later that my eyes finally opened. I never wore contacts but it was as if my vision was suddenly crystal clear. Everything was so defined, so detailed; I could practically count the dust mites floating in the air. My eyes finally settled on something I recognized: Donovan. I sat up and the burn began anew in my throat. I clutched at it, confused. What was happening? Donovan looked at me with wide eyes. I could smell something. Something delicious. I cocked my head back and gave the air a good sniff. It was coming from Donovan’s direction. Lunging forward, I grabbed Donovan by the throat and held him up against the wall.