The Chase Ch. 39

Thad’s P.O.V

            I stared at Ginger coolly, eyeing her hand clenched around Alexander’s neck. I’d only recently found out his name. It seemed his wasn’t as appalled by my very presence as his sister was. I could sense his heart rate picking up. Is she hurting him?

“Nothing,” Ginger said, releasing Alexander. “We’re just talking.”

The boy nodded in agreement. His heart rate accelerated even faster, faster than a human’s heart should. He was far beyond scared although he hid it well. “Just talking,” he said quietly.

            Ginger stepped away from him. She scratched at her neck, tearing the skin briefly until it sealed itself seconds later. She’d probably tear her throat out by the end of the day.

“Will you excuse us for a minute?” I said to Alexander.

His pulse jumped in excitement. “Don’t leave,” Ginger said, taking his hand. His heart slowed. He stared down at their intertwined fingers. He must like her. “Please?”

“We can…talk later,” he assured her, apologetically prying her hand from his.

            He walked passed me, his breathing steady, eyes dilated. What was this kid?

“Ginger, didn’t I say not to come here?” I asked, turning my attention to her.

She flicked her hair from her face, her eyes glinting. “You can’t tell me not to come to my own safe house.”

“Are you still thirsty?” I tried not to agitate her more than she already was.

“Yes.”

I extended my forearm to her. “Here.”

In an animalistic way, she sniffed the air. It reminded me of myself. “It doesn’t smell the same as human blood.”

“It’ll satisfy you for now.” I approached her and put my arm to her lips. “Drink.”

            She latched on almost immediately, her white fangs glistening. I couldn’t understand why she hated being like me. She was beautiful. I understood her wanting to be around her friends but she wouldn’t have been able to do that if she was dead. In my momentary distraction I forgot Ginger was still drinking from me. Being as young as she was, we weren’t at the stage where it should feel good. I swayed on my feet, feeling the effects of her taking too much.    

“Ginger, stop,” I urged. She gripped me tighter. “Ginger!”

            Without thinking, I jabbed her in the throat, causing her to spit blood all over me. At least she stopped drinking. I wiped the blood from my face and sealed the puncture wounds on my arm. She stared at my arm longingly.

“Behave,” I warned. Her eyes snapped up at me. “Don’t give me that look.”

“More,” she said.

“Later.”

“Now!”

“Ginger!” Was I ever this bad? She was like a child. “Let’s go.”

            I grabbed her hand and pulled her down the stairs ignoring the petrified eyes of her friends as they took in our appearance. Ginger had my blood dripping down her face and I was splattered with blood as well. I went out the back door with her and ran into Alexander. Freeing herself, Ginger slipped from my fingers and crashed into Alexander, slamming him against the side of the house. Before I could pull her back, she bit down. If I pull her off, I risk her taking a chunk of Alexander’s neck with her.

            His lips parted slightly and he tilted his head back. He surely can’t be enjoying this?