Epilogue

We all ceremoniously packed our things, getting ready for the move. We knew it wouldn’t last long but none of us were prepared. The water was out in the safe house and electricity was a no go. Thad smiled at me from across the room and I smiled back. We were friends…just friends. Our bond broke when I drank from Alexander but he decided to stick around anyway. I’m glad. I threw a few more things into my bag using my now human hands. The reversion took about a day but I was human once again. It felt weird.

“Emma, did you bring back the map?” I asked, shouting down the hall.

“Got it!” she replied.

            We were going to find a new place. It’d been almost a year in the house so we were hoping for a change. We’d only take what we can which meant Luke’s library of medical books had to stay behind but I was sure he’d stow away a few even if it meant struggling on our journey. I wasn’t really sure where we’d go but I knew that as long as we stuck together, we’d be fine.

“It’s almost sundown,” Donovan reported. “We should hurry.”

            I nodded and zipped up my duffle bag. I stuck a pistol in my belt and got to my feet. Descending the stairs, I headed out into the street with Emma, Donovan, Sadie, Luke, Mina, Alexander, and of course Thad on my heels. Taking one last look at the house we turned our backs and headed west.

            The sun dipped below the horizon and the road grew dark. Eyes popped up around us. We didn’t run because they just loved The Chase.