Chapter 17

Chapter 17

I woke disappointed to find an empty bed. It was extremely cold, even under the covers, so I quickly threw them back and scrambled around the room looking for my suitcase. I couldn't remember where I set it, so I was kind of lost. Even thought there are only so many places it could be. I finally found it on a wall next to the dresser. I unzipped it and threw on my comfortable clothes, not caring how unattractive I looked.
lazy day
I wandered through the fairly large cabin until I found Anne cooking in the kitchen.
"Good morning," she smiled brightly at me.
"Good morning," I replied just as cheerful.
"How did you sleep?" she asks flipping a pancake.
"Just fine. What about you?" I asked as well taking a seat on a bar stool.
"I slept pretty good, but it was quite cold last night," she tells me.
"Yeah. I woke up this morning basically an ice sickle," I tell her lightly.
"I don't know how. You and Harry were quite cozy last night," a small smile plays on her lips and she looks up to smirk at me. I am blushing like crazy and I can't make eye contact.
"Oh, I'm only teasing. But you two were quite cute. I've never seen him act the way he does around you," she says going back to cooking.
"What do you mean?" I ask her my brows furrowing in confusion.
"So attentive and caring. He watches you like you're the most brilliant thing he's ever seen. And this morning, I was coming to wake you up, but found Harry and you snuggled together. He was holding you like you would disappear any moment. I've never seen him so happy," she explains. Her voice is quiet and thoughtful. I watch her taking in her words. Surely she's misunderstood. I mean, Harry doesn't like me like that. Does he? I was so confused.
"Thank you," Anne's voice brings me out of my thoughts.
"What for?"
"For sticking around. I know he can be a handful, but he really is one of the most amazing people on this planet. I know he's got his problems, but you seem to understand him. He needs you in his life," she says looking up at me.

I'm speechless. I don't know how to respond to that. Harry didn't need me, but I needed him. That's why I stuck around. I love him and that's a strong word that doesn't get used often when it comes to me. But I truly love Harry. Not just love him. I'm IN love with him. I care about him more than anyone else on the planet. I would go to the ends of the Earth to make him happy. But Harry needing me? No. Truth is Harry doesn't need anybody.

Speak of the devil, he comes strolling through the kitchen door. He goes over to his mom and gives her a kiss on the cheek, but freezes when he turns around and sees me. I don't think he knew I was there. He decides to just forget it and strolls over to me giving me a kiss on the cheek as well. I was totally surprised by that, but didn't say anything. I just smiled and he returned it. I noticed Anne trying not to smile and I almost blushed.
"How'd you sleep?" Harry asked. I'm sure referring to our little talk. I gave him the best smile I could.
"Fine," I tell him before turning away. Talking about the events of my life took a toll on me. I had pushed back the memories for so long. I was emotionally exhausted thinking about it. I almost regretted telling Harry about my past. Not because I didn't trust him, I just...hadn't told anyone. Ever.
I think he sensed my apprehension and grabbed my hand under the table lacing our fingers together. I squeezed his hand in thanks and he smiled, but it didn't reach his dimples. Anne places our plates in front of us and I smiled in and told her a quiet thank you. I released Harry's hand to eat and he pouted. I smiled at the cute gesture and poked his cheek. I ate while Anne called everyone else into the kitchen for food. Gemma slugged in looking absolutely beautiful despite the fact that she just woke up. Robin followed shortly after giving his wife a sweet peck on the lips.
"Good morning beautiful," he told her. She grinned glowing at the affection. I smiled at the two and looked over at Harry. He was already looking at me a small smile playing on his lips.
"So, how do you usually celebrate Christmas?" Anne asks me once everyone had settled.
"I usually just stay with El," I tell her. Of course I don't tell her why and I'm thankful that no one asks.
"Well, we usually have the cabin decorated, but we forgot the supplies at the house, so later we're going out to get all of it. I was wondering if you would like to come," she tells me, but asks at the same time.
"No. We'll stay here," Harry answers for me. Anne smiles brightly.
"Ok, that's fine."