Chapter 29

I stared at my phone impatiently waiting for the address to come in via text. I didn't know what time they would be available to come out tonight, but I was ready.

"Staring at it isn't going to make him text you any faster," El said coming in from the kitchen.

"I can hope," I replied.

"Hope is for suckers," she said plopping down next to me and handing me a mug with hot coffee in it.

"Way to be a downer, El," I said tearing my gaze away from my cellphone to her.

She just smiled, before she looked at me with a patient look. I sighed. I knew that look.

"We kissed, we almost had sex, my father got in contact with me, and he gave me this ring that I am still confused about," I summed.

Her eyes went wide and she looked at me for a good minute before responding.

"Your dad got in contact with you?" she asked, obviously that being the thing that shocked her the most. I simply nodded turning my attention away from her.

"What did he say? How did he even get your number?" she asked leaning forward, her eyebrows scrunched together in confusion.

"He told me that Bradley was out of jail, and I can guarantee you that my mother gave it to him," I explained with a sigh.

"I wouldn't put it past her," El mumbled.

I snorted. "Please. I wouldn't put it past her to set the garage on fire because it didn't meet her standards," I rolled my eyes.

It got quiet, both of us deep in thought.

"Wait. You and Harry almost had sex?" El said suddenly turning to me.

I blushed, something I did not normally do. "Yeah...that kind of happened really fast, but then his mom interrupted."

"His mom walked in!" she cried out in horror.

"No! I mean she called for us and we had to stop," I hurried to explain. "But if she hadn't been there..." I trailed off knowing that she got the rest.

"Things might be totally different right now if you had," she said quietly.

"I know. I don't know what I was thinking! No, I hadn't been thinking, that was the problem. He had just been so sweet and he'd just given me this ring and it was all so crazy," I said throwing my head into my hands.

"What ring?" she asked searching my fingers.

"Here," I said sliding it off my finger and handing it over to her.

She examined it thoroughly before questioning the engraving. "Forever?"

"Yeah, I thought the same thing," I mumbled.

"Is it like a promise ring?" she asked turning it over and over in her hands.

"It can't be a promise ring. We're not together," I said leaning back.

"But you almost had sex..." and then a look of realization crossed her features and she turns to me giving me a stern look.

"I know! That's what makes it so much worse," I tell her exasperated. "Now give me my ring back," I demand holding my hand out.

She places it in my hand and I slide it back on my finger where it will stay unless under dire circumstances.

"What are you going do?"

"I don't know, El," I sigh. A look of sympathy crosses her face, but she didn't understand. She never would. She had the love of her life, a man who would go to the ends of the Earth for her. I was envious that I couldn't have that. I don't get it. I didn't do anything. Maybe that's the problem. I've never done anything to signify my existence in this world besides maybe a few good deeds. I have never really helped anyone out. I've never specifically gone out of my way to help another individual. That has to change. I'm tired of just being a nobody. Someone who just flies through life alone and bored with everything. I needed a change. I needed to be the old me.