Marinette's Backstory - A Gifted Girl

Setting up their family bakery was a difficult challenge for Marinette's family for a multitude of different reasons

Setting up their family bakery was a difficult challenge for Marinette's family for a multitude of different reasons. Baking had always been a passion of her parents, and opening their own store had been something they had always wanted to do. In Paris, however, a city that was known for, among many things, its quality of baked goods, this was no easy task. An over-saturation of the pastry shops in the large city made opening one of their own incredibly difficult.

While still very warm and loving to her, Marinette saw little of her parents during the first half of the first year when their shop opened. Always busy with a delivery, or discussing loans and mortgages with people in suits. So busy that they couldn't spend time with their five year old daughter, no matter how much she wanted to see them. They had converted their attic into a bedroom for their daughter, and made sure that she was comfortable and had plenty of things to occupy her time. Games consoles, a television, even a computer that they entrusted to her. They were struggling to get their business of the ground, but that wasn't to say they were poor by any stretch of the imagination. They'd planned for this well in advance.

It was during this time that Marinette discovered her talent and passion for fashion design. Her artistic talents came to be a huge part of the little girl's life. Fashion designers like Gabriel Agreste became inspirations and role models to her. The work he did, for casual civilians and hard-working heroes, being both stylish and creative, yet practical and durable, sparked a creative drive Marinette herself didn't know she had. She would spend hours upon hours upon hours of her time practicing her work. Her drawings and her creation of clothes, until she became halfway decent at it. And when she became reasonable at the creation of these clothes, she still kept on improving, until she was good at it.

It became apparent she possessed great skill and talent in the area, despite only being five. She had a creative passion, and she wasn't afraid to show it off. She would always ask her parents to look at the things that she had made, and the things she had drawn. The praise she got only convinced her to work harder. And in doing so, she kept getting better and better, and the happy cycle continued, until she was nearly at a level that some famous Designers themselves would be jealous of.

One day, Marinette was working on creating a blue dress, while her parents were baking various goods, as per usual. It was a long, elegant dress she was making for her mother's upcoming birthday. Her television was on, an there was a program about a Hero who was called Multiply, who could create clones of himself, with the drawback of each clone only being half as powerful as the original. He was doing an interview, explaining how his Trait worked.

Multiply looked like the average Hero. He wore a white jumpsuit, with red lines going down his chest, and around his wrists, and waistline. There was also a crimson X on his chest, the mathematical sign for multiplication. Additionally, he also wore a mask covering only his eyes. He also had a muscular build, the result of plenty of visits the the gym, he claimed. "When I use my power, my cells basically divide and replicate themselves, and detach from my body. Those cells become my clones, and so on and so forth. That's why each one of my clones is only half as strong as the original thing."