Chapter 30- Patrol

Leonardo's POV.

I'd taken Dawn back to my house after the pack meeting, where we'd talked for at least an hour before she fell asleep. I held my sleeping beauty tightly in my arms and watched he flawless face as I waited for Malik's howl. I listened to her steady heart beat and stroked her hair. It was so peaceful, the night was calm. But that was just a facade. Our lives were anything but peaceful. I wish she didn't have to go through this but it's not like we have a choice. All I can do is to watch over her, protect her until this is over then give her the happy, normal life that I know she wanted. With a white picket fence--okay maybe not--a pet dog*chuckle* as a joke and a little boy or girl,preferably a boy. I chuckled silently and she stirred a bit before pressing herself closer to me.

Howllll

That was my signal. I pulled myself away from her gently and squirmed out of bed. She groaned and rolled over. Staying frozen in my spot, I waited to see if she'd wake up. After a minute or two I let out a breath and straightened up.

"Where are you going?" She yawned. I snickered softly. So much for not waking her up.

"It's mine and Malik's turn to go patrolling."I explained.

"Can't someone else go?" She whined. I smiled tightly as I held back a laugh. She was so cute when she behaved childishly...most of the time.

"I'm the alpha, I have to go," I kissed her forehead. "Besides, it would be unfair to have the others out patrolling and me stay home. After all this is all for my mate." I reminded her.

Sh sighed and rolled her eyes playfully. "Fine." After a few seconds of staring at each other she whispered. "Thank you."

I bent down and whispered against her lips, "you're welcome." Before kissing her softly.

I pulled away as another howl ripped through the night. "That's my cue." I headed over to the window and looked back at her once more. "I love you."

"I love you too." She smiled adoringly. I think that was the sappiest I've every been and I think I like it.

I jumped out the window and shifted mid-air before landing and sprinting into the woods.

About time. Malik thought to me as he ran up beside me.

Shut up. I nudged him playfully. I don't think he was still pissed at me but I just want to make sure. Hey Malik, about trying to kick Skylar out,I—

It's okay, I understand. I mean Dawn's your mate and you just wanted to keep her safe. But let's get this clear if you ever try to attack my mate again I won't hesitate to charge again. Friends or not. He said coolly. I could tell he was serious.

Fair enough. So we cool? I questioned.

Yea we cool. He sent a wolf grin my way and nudged me playfully. How 'bout we race? Malik suggested. That way we can have fun while we search for any threats. I thought about it for a sec and didn't see any harm in it so agreed. We'll part from here and meet up half-half on the other side.

Cool. On the count of 3. One...two ...three and we were off.

I ran at full speed with no intentions of letting Malik beat me but still keeping my nose and ears alert. I was almost half way when a strong sent of wolves hit me. I skidded to a stop and let out a deep growl. Scanning the area my senses went on a rampage searching for any threat to my mate. Spinning around viciously I gave myself a whiplash, but I didn't care. I that alpha think he'd lay a finger on her,her--.

I felt a sharp sting at my neck right before my eyes began to droop. I shook my head to clear it and and forced my eyes to stay open. There was no way I was going down so easily. I searched for the source of the ambush as another--dart,I presume--hit me, then another and another. My legs were beginning to give up on me as I swayed from side to side. My hind legs were the first to collapse then my front legs one after the other. Just as my eyes were about to shut a blacked- haired man with battle scars stood over me and aimed a dart gun at me.

Don't worry, I'll talk good care of her." He told me right before he pulled the trigger and plunged me into darkness.

Dawn's POV

I hadn't went back to bed. I wouldn't be able to sleep anyway. Crazy thoughts about Leonardo being hurt invaded my mind. It's stupid I know. Leo can take care of himself. He's the strongest person I know.

I dragged the blanket downstairs with me to wait for him. Everyone is going around trying to protect me. The least I can do is stay up and wait for Leo to come back home. I'm pretty sure that's all he'd let me do anyway. I'm going to have to change that. I want to go on patrol too.

Sitting on the couch I tucked my legs underneath me and snuggled into the blanket. I inhaled deeply and let out a slow breath. The blanket smelt like Leo, sweet and manly. He had a woodsy scent to him.

Switching on the television I flipped through the channels until I settled for some reruns of the Berney Mac show. I wasn't really paying attention when something pricked me behind me neck. On instinct my hand flew up and slapped the area. I stung but it sort of soothed the prick. I felt another prick on my back then my thigh. Bloody hell! What the hell was going on. I'm pretty sure there isn't any mosquitos around here, so what is attacking me. My mind flashed back to Leo and I had a sinking feeling in my gut.

No,everything's alright. Leo is okay. I told myself.
My wolf howled inside me head,worried.I know I know, I have a bad feeling about this too. I said to her.

I got up and paced the leaving room to try and come my nerves. Maybe I should go and check up on him?No,no,no. He'd just think I thought that he couldn't take care of himself. Or maybe he would take it as me caring enough to make sure he was okay. But he is Leonardo after all. He never wants to be babied or anything of the sort. You know what, he'll get over it. I'm going out there.

As soon as I made up my mind to go check upon him, I heard the padding of paws outside the house. I rushed to the door and wrenched the door open. Leo was standing outside in his wolf form just parting ways with Malik. I stared at his wolf in relief but still had the bad feeling in my gut. Maybe I was need him inside to know that he was fully safe.

Malik left and Leo sifted back into his human form and waltz towards me in all his hunk-like glory. I raked my eyes up and down his body in appreciation but didn't get the usual weak in the knees effect he always gave me. I must be really off my game tonight.

I ushered Leo inside and took one last suspicious look outside before slowly shutting the door.