2-The Missing Executive

Nearly Two Years Later

It's 6 am and I am already in the office.  It's a good day. 

I'm wearing the perfect tailored black dress and black heels.  The fitted cap-sleeved dress shows off my curves while keeping just enough hidden to be professional.  The long straight skirt of the dress ends just above the knee, accentuating my toned legs.  My black heels add nearly four inches to my 5 foot six-inch frame giving me presence as soon as I enter any room.   

My red hair flows down my back in soft curls which end past my shoulder blades.  I applied a full face of makeup and put extra care into creating smoky cat eyes.  I finished with a crimson red lip.  I wear extra makeup at work.  I am both blessed and cursed to look much younger without makeup.   In my role, I need to look like someone with maturity and experience.  I've worked hard to prove my strength as a key member of the leadership team.   I make sure that my appearance at work reflects my role.  

Besides, I always feel happier when I look nice.   All preparations seemed to come together and I was having a good hair and makeup day.  I left the house feeling confident and was on the road before dawn to avoid traffic.   I am the first person in the office this morning, but that comes at a price. 

I missed seeing my kids off for their last day of school before summer vacation begins.  The boys were so excited last night that they had a hard time sleeping.   My mom will be driving the morning carpool route.  Then, she will be hosting an afternoon in our pool for a few of the boy's friends.   I'm sad that I won't be there, but happy that she is always willing to help.   These are the sacrifices that I have to make as a successful working mom. 

I begin setting up the office for a day of interviews that will be taking place.  I lead HR for all of DNT Consulting's offices on the West Coast.  We are looking to add two new partners to our San Francisco office.  My role is usually much more strategic than facilitating interviews, but these are key positions and my right-hand woman in San Francisco is on vacation today. 

We've invited four candidates to today's final round of interviews.  I've carefully laid out a complex interview schedule which will ensure that the candidates never cross paths during the day.  It's a small world in consulting and all four candidates probably know each other.   I don't want to do anything that could compromise the confidentiality of these executives who work for our competitors.   

I grab some coffee and begin preparing for a short 7 am meeting with our interviewers.  I will use the meeting to fill in the interviewers on the candidates' background and experience.  It will be important that they are prepared this morning since they won't have much time between interviews. 

I look down at my watch and it's 6:45.  I review the schedule and notice that Amir Khadem is one of the main interviewers.  I've never met him.  He is based out of our New York office and was recently promoted to Senior Partner after his manager announced his impending retirement.  Amir will take over for his manager, Geoffrey who has managed all of the consulting offices in North America for the past 10 years. 

I worked closely with Geoffrey for the past few years.  Geoff is a good looking man in his sixties with salt and pepper hair and hard-earned laugh lines.   Geoff is charming, but happily married and has always treated me like a daughter.   I've always appreciated his support of my career and his kindness over the years.  I hope to have the same type of relationship with his protégé.  

Promptly at 7 am, well-dressed executives stream into the conference room and find their seats.  I make small talk while waiting for the last few people to get settled.   I look around and see nothing, but familiar faces and realize that Amir has not arrived.  I wait another fifteen minutes and get started.  The first candidate will arrive at 8 am and I can't afford to get off schedule.